HOW TO: remove rotational play in rear view mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have a slight rotation play or there's a vibrating sound from your rear view mirror, this would be the fix.

0. disconnect any harness to the rear view mirror.

1. T20 to remove rear view mirror off windshield

2. pry the front bezel off. take your time. I've noted the pry points and what you're dealing with.

You must be registered for see images

3. T25 screw to tighten the ball joint assembly to the mirror.

The screw is a trilobe screw.
Remove it and add some blue threadlock.
I also added some superglue around the head.

4. reassemble.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. I just noticed my mirror is a little sloppy when I adjusted it last night. This helps :waytogo:

Bob

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the poor condition of the roads down here it was a little annoying and noticing the vibration when driving at night.

definitely not easy to pry open.

I used a combination of prying with mostly plastic trim tools and a flat head screwdriver.

Once I had my first part of the bezel pried open, I put a cloth around the flat head screwdriver and slide it down between the gap to help pop the other locations out. This sort of minimizes the chance of damaging the plastic bezel by prying.

Hope this makes sense.

Take your time.

Also be careful with the two plastic posts by the on/off button. See picture #2.

apparently, the trilobe screw is a self tapping screw so you want to take care when screwing it back as well.

Last edited: