How to Paint PLASTIC bumpers and flares?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andrewg

Reaction score
i have a silver 04 KJ and want to get the my bumpers and flares looking fresh and new, i believe they probably once used to be black but are now a darker gray. i dont know the best way to prep and paint these plastic pieces and with what paint so if anyone can give their input it would be much appreciated! thanks Andy:confused:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are all waiting for Red02's pictures, but so far non sufraced...
The bumpers/fenders flares were always grey, if they are unpainted and on an 04 sport, I don't think they were ever black. They dont get darker, in contrary I have seen sport bumpers actually fade and get lighter in certain spots, probably due to salt? not sure..

Anyway, check his thread here:
http://jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39025

Also some people sprayed it with liner from bed liners to herculiners.. Some looks good some looks awful...

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a paint process available through professional shops that use "Texture" base-clear. The exact mechanics of the process are still unknown to me, but I work in a plastics-based body shop and when I do my stage up to primer, it is the same as gloss paint, the primer is sanded and then the textured process takes place. It can be blended into unpainted parts as long as it matches colorwise. To get the exact details, I would talk to an automotive paint supplyer or body shop. The cost is not all that bad compared to gloss paint but by all means do it right.
"

Latest posts

Members online