HOW TO: Mount a full size CB Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kit

Reaction score
hey guys, I've did a ton of research in the past week, and a lot of post inspired me, but nothing really appealed to me because the radio I brought was way too big to use any previous suggestions posted in this forum. I brought the Cobra 29WXNWBT last week and trying to figure out where to mount it. So as you guys can see, pretty self explanatory. I've sacrificed my dome light for it. I might get a LED Strip later this week to hook back into the original wiring. should be light and low profile enough I can velcro. This was done in a 2002 libby v6 sport.

1) Remove the dome light and the supporting base.
2) Insert a piece of angled steel into the hole
3) Drill a hole under the visor to hold the steel in place with bolts
4) Install the CB Mount onto the steel piece
5) Install the CB Radio and Wiring

Btw, I've been on the forum for a while but this is my first post. I do get a lot of valuable info outta here, so thank you very much to everyone.

Attachments

• DSC_7101.jpg
    DSC_7101.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC_7108.jpg
    DSC_7108.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC_7110.jpg
    DSC_7110.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC_7119.jpg
    DSC_7119.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC_7122.jpg
    DSC_7122.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks good Kit.

Welcome to the forum. I see this is your first post. You should go over to the new member intro section and introduce yourself and don't forget a pic of your jeep.

Dave

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
i have a modified CB similar to that...

good writeup and good mount..

not sure im willign to give up my map light t hough..

hmmmm

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
yours looks like a Cobra 29, or equivelant sized radio... mine is a bit bigger, not sure if it will fit there, but looks like a good idea, I may shop around to see if I can find some sort of surface mount lights to stick to bottom of cb... hmm... of course that might wind up blocking the mirror too. mine is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wider, and a about 1/4inch taller, and the mic jack comes out the side... so i might just get slapped in the face by the mic cord when offroading, but gonna look into this anyway since it would be nice to open the glove box all the way, and still be able to move the seat all the way forward as well. I might just say screw it and mount it on the dash

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i also think my only option is to mount similar to what boebr posted.

If I could make one suggestion on mounting like mine, put some double sided tape on the bracket, mount it loosly to the CB, then carefully position cb and bracket where you want it, remove the cb, then drill your mount holes while the bracket is stuck to the console. I have an extra hole in my console from not doing this...:mad:

Last edited:

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
thanks for the tip
i would get a s maller radio but i have a really nice modified cobra from years ago ( assuming its still good) that i hate to not use
i paid good money for it back in the day.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya there... that's why i'm using this peaked and tweaked galaxy 66dx... paid $300 for it a few years ago...

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally moved my CB to a nicer location. The microphone is on a retractable lanyard.

My view really isn't hampered by it at all

I just tucked the cable and power wires between the windshield and dash, power wires go down into fuse compartment, cable is tucked into A-pillar and headliner. All excess cable is hidden in the headliner, then it comes out and goes up to roof in driver's rear door area