how to lower a liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brianawd

Reaction score
Yes stock springs will sag over the years and lower the jeep. If you want to do it
Right use lowering springs. They will have a higher spring rate but are a
Shorter spring. So you get lower ride that handles better. At the same time you do the springs change out the shocks
For some bilstein hd's

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O. K. I will answer thinking you want to make your Libby a drifting machine, because that is the only acceptable reason for doing it so.
That said you have to address two things, struts and springs and camber. The best bet for does is custom work from an realiable source shop (previous drift machining experience), the springs are piece of cake because you just have to get in touch with eibach or look for some springs that are designed to address the libbys weight and strocke... Now, talk us a little bit about your drifting style so I can throw some camber settings and where to get camber arms or plates.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk now Free

Never Go Full ****** - YouTube

Last edited:

Josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW. Last night on my shift on the engine we got a call for a MVA. Well someone t boned a KJ. No big deal other than totaling a KJ with rene light bar.
But after talking to the owner about his KJ for my mva report he started to tell me all about it becuase I said mine was also a 06.

So here's what he said to the best of my ability to rember a conversation at 3 am on the highway.

So he said that he had a 5.0ho in his jeep. Sure enough he poped the hood and it was stuffed. He also had a manuel ******. With a write up on some turner website.

I was excitied! He had custom gages and aftermarket seats. But here's why I'm posting on here. So he had the extra weight of the v8. He said he had "old man emu" springs in the front and rear. Cool. But this jeep was slammed to the ground. He had cut a few coils off the springs becuase the stock springs sagged out too fast. It was pretty low and he had the wheels tucked pretty good. And had extensive work done to the jeep.

So maybe you could buy the ome springs and cut a coil out....I know some will say no, that's bad, blah blah. But it worked for this guy and has worked for many many many years on other cars. Hell even Gas Monkey Garage do it. It might give you the ride you want with the height of stock.
Were not allowed to take pics for personal use until both parties release statement of release. LEO can take pics all the want but not FD unless its approved by Captian. But I managed to grab guys phone number. Might get with him for pics. And he had liability insurance only so he got it towed home.

You will only be cutting ome springs down to stock height so no mods needed other than to springs themselves.

TLDR: Guy who wrecked had a tuner out KJ that used OME springs that were chopped down. To give a super low ride due to SBF. Pretty cool jeep. No pics due to due regs.

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

Cut springs briefly discussed here:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f203/upgrading-stock-suspension-w-no-lift-53492/index5.html#post596754

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just to play devils advocate in this one, and due to my interesting setup. I have OME light duty front springs with one coil cut out of it to be about the same as stock coil height (bought the coils on clearence for pretty much dirt) and i put them on top of a daystar spacer pucks. i cut them slowly using a cutting wheel (not a damn torch) making sure not to heat the coil up. it has worked out good for my setup. But i would never use any kind of cut spring to lower a jeep thats just asking for trouble and headaches