HOW TO: Install front D-Rings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like what you've done, very ingenious.

I am concerned about the safety and quality of $1 "Power Fist" tow points. May I suggest you use grade 8 bolts & practice safe tugging & winching. Nothing ruins your day like a broken tow point flying through the air.

While on the topic of front tow points, I like the idea of brush bars on a Liberty but I don't like losing the tow points. Has anybody tried putting shackles on a brush bar?

I'd like to see more pics and details on your ride Gris. Get some trail lamps on that roof rack will ya, three or four Hella's would be sweet.

Oh, one last thing. I imagine if you don't have a "REALLY big drill press and lots of cutting oil/time" you could always take it to a local machine shop that does.

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see more pics and details on your ride Gris. Get some trail lamps on that roof rack will ya, three or four Hella's would be sweet.

LibertyFever, look closely under the front of the rack, between the roof and the rack itself.

Also, a link in my sig goes to a web page with lots of details. A couple of the "Action & Adventure" pages show me towing, or being towed, with the shackles.

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
liberty fever if you purchase a TJM T16 grille guard the mounting brackets come with revovery points that you can install RATED SHACKLES on, the only thing i would reccomend is a equalizer strap between the to recovery points and a good quality snatch strap ( like a big bungee cord) not much momentum to unstuck a vehical, i have been recovered with my t16 and its all good

KJ2005

Reaction score
where to purchase D-rings?

where can you purchase D-rings? Pepboys? Home Depot? Walmart?

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Gris, can you give details on your install? I have an 06 and when i was looking at my subframe on the front i noticed that if i were to mount flush to the frame i would have to cut my fascia along the top. it appears in your image that you didnt have to. Did you use a spacer?

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked all over for a front hitch but no one seems to make one any more.
Reese use to make one but no more part number.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bennett, Loved the idea and had to do it. Followed the instructions but added a 1/2 plate between hitch and frame.

You must be registered for see images

1/2 in. plate between the two

Used a drimmel to cut holes, recievers will then slide right in. Nice and tight!!

Finished product W/O D rings. Used 7/8 step bit to open up holes for the use of 3/4 D Rings.

Will post front pics when i get home. Thanks again Bennett!!rockon.gif
I just realized how long ago Gris and Bennett did these.......#-o:D

Last edited:

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still no D Rings:( but here is finished look

NewJeepOwner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dead pics suck but I think I can figure this out with what you've provided ..Is it absolutely necessary to remove the front bumper though?

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dead pics suck but I think I can figure this out with what you've provided ..Is it absolutely necessary to remove the front bumper though?

Yeah unfortunately. Once bumper is removed there will be a black cap that covers this access hole. This is where the bolts will go through and need to attach washers and nuts to fasten it together. Seems like a big job but gets you familiar with the front end. http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25620

Last edited:

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size holes need to be drilled into the arms to mount them to the frame and how far apart do you space them (the holes)? Has anybody measured that? What size bolts are used?

I'd like to do this but I'm going to have to have a machine shop do the drilling for me as I don't have anything that heavy duty in my garage...would like to have all the specs so I can go buy the arms and bring them to get drilled before I take my front end apart.

***EDIT - Never mind, found it on LOST.***

Last edited:

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a picture of my finished product...did it almost a month ago.

Last edited: