How to determine bad heads, bad rings, or both?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have 148k miles. I haven't noticed any powerloss since I purchased with with 130 miles in Nov 2016. I didn't pay much for the Jeep so went in with an engine replacement/rebuild in mind.

Normal driving there is some blue smoke out the exhaust but not very noticeable. When going up an extreme incline I will start to burn oil out the exhaust pretty heavily until I get back on the road and drive for 20-30 minutes. Then it goes back to "normal" minimal burning of oil.

It looks like a lot of smoke when on an incline but I tend to only need to top off 1-1.5qts of oil between oil changes (3000 miles).

I haven't noticed any power loss from when I purchased it. This has been going on for roughly 6-8 months now and has not gotten worse in terms of how much blue smoke is coming out the exhaust.

I have recently in the last month been losing coolant. I keep an eye on it so never overheats or gets low enough that my heat stops working but I would say I'm topping off the coolant overflow once a week. It'll go from the seam down to 1/4" left in the tank. I do not see any leaks from the radiator, water pump, radiator hoses, etc.

Does anything stand out about this? Any suggestions on where/what to start testing to find out what needs to be replaced.

My game plan is:

• Pull out spark plugs. rotate the engine so that the first cyl I'm testing is at top dead center.
  • Put the car into gear and set the hand brake to prevent the engine from turning when I pump air into the cylinder. Start with the regulator off so there is zero the pressure coming in. Connect my air compressor, and turn the regulator to pressurize the cylinder.
  • Write down what the leakage percentage is.
  • Then, open the radiator cap, the oil cap, pull the dipstick, and take off the air cleaner. To listen from all these points and see if I can hear air escaping.

• Air whistling out of the intake probably means a leak around the intake valve?
  • Air coming out of the exhaust or exhaust mani indicates an exhaust valve leak?
  • If I hear it whistle out of the PCV valve, oil pour hole or dipstick is a sign of that air getting past the piston rings - i.e. cooked rings?
  • And if any air bubbles out through the coolant, it indicates a head gasket leak?

Is this sufficient or should I do a dry/wet compression test too?

Then once I know what's worn I can figure out if I just need new heads, a head gasket, or if it's time for a full rebuild/replacement motor?

Last edited:

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you leaking any oil?

I believe there is a slight drip from the oil-p sender but I was going to just swap that out regardless. I had a leak from my water pump so i replaced it about 4 months ago. There is a good chance the oil-p leak was just coolant mixing with grime/dirt and traveling back to that area while driving. I need to reinspect again.

I've got off Fri-Mon this weekend so I'm going to be pulling my front axles (killed them running no swaybar for a while). See if I can get Napa to warranty them if not I'll buy another set. Last time went with the Napa(cardone) remans. Thinking about getting limiting straps so I can run with no swaybar on the trails again.

While working on that this weekend I'll perform the leak down and compression tests.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.