How to: Convert 2wd to 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just going to write up a How To on converting 2wd to 4wd. This will be a process over the next week or so. The vehicle that I am converting has no motor or transmission, so I will also be putting that in, which will unfortunately omit several parts of the installation.

To convert, you will need;

1.) 4x4 shifter handle, boot, cable, bracket
2.) 4x4 transmission, transfercase (your choice of 242 or 231), driveshafts
3.) 4x4 front K-member (engine cradle, suspension cradle)
4.) 4x4 front axle, matched gears to your rear, or both to convert and have them matching
5.) 4x4 unit bearings, axle cv shafts
6.) at least 4 jackstands, two floor jacks that match height, and one engine hoist.

You would be smart to get parts number 3,4, and 5 all complete in one unit.

You may also wish to use the coils for the rear and front coilovers as well. I'm uncertain of differences between 2wd and 4wd springs, so I am just going to swap them.

Step 1.

Remove center console. this is straight forward.

Pull up the 2wd cover for the 4x4 shifter area, remove one screw.

Pull up trans shift bezel, remove one screw.

Remove rear switch cover, disconnect wires (need a small flat head or pick to pull it up)

Unscrew the console lid with the 3 screws, two screws in the bottom of the console storage, and two screws at the front of the console storage. lift it out.

Unplug master window switch. remember this one has a safety lock on it, that you will have to slide over in order to unplug.

Pull ebrake up as far as you can. then lift the console up and forward from the rear, slide it out. You may want the trans in neutral for this.

Next, remove the 4 10mm nuts on the shifter blockoff plate. there is one part of a harness clipped to the farthest inward stud. be careful and you can keep from breaking it in order to reuse it.

Here you see the four nuts removed
You must be registered for see images attach

Remove the blockoff plate. use a flat head to break the seal so it can be pulled up. I used a small right angle pick

removed

This is the 4x4 shifter, cable, and bracket. slide it in.

Bolt it down, and reconnect the harness clip. I used some polyurothane adhesive when it slid it in to prevent water seeping in

Reinstall center console in reverse order.

Now we move on to the hard part. I have not begun this yet, but will update as the project progresses.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should add, that both the donor and the reciever of these parts are 2002 liberties. I removed the seats to clean the carpet, and also to allow for better pictures.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, the harness that I speak of clipping back into place is only present on KJ's with the factory CD changer and/or the factory subs.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it twice, didn't finish with pics. Check my build thread for pics. From there, swap trans, add tcase, front diff, cv shafts, rear driveshaft.

I will not be updating from here.