HOW TO: Change your front/rear diff oils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squeeto

Reaction score
The reason is the back fill plug is rubber,just pops in/out.If filled to the bottom of the fill hole it may or maynot weep a little gear oil.

This I can believe but if they are not concerned about the seals dipped into the oil line, why the cm on the front?

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filled my front up until the fluid started coming back out. I've been doing that for the past 40,000 miles with no problems at all.

Incidentally, I've had really good MPGs lately. I don't know if running 80W-90 in both diffs has anything to do with it, or just that I've changed ALL my driveline fluids recently.

DavidG

Reaction score
Where did it go?

Two of the posters in this thread and other links, all whom I would believe, state it takes slightly over 2 quarts, 70 oz, of rear differential gear oil. Why did mine take 4 quarts! then? I don't think I spilled that much.... I do have the back tires on 10 inch ramps, which would cause the back fill hole to be higher and therefore cause it take some more fluid, but twice as much?! The drain pan did have just slightly over 2 quarts which would be the drained oil plus whatever spilled and it caught while I filled the differential. There wasn't much oil on the papers underneath or the driveway. Could the oil have gone up into the drive shaft?

After having lowered the back from the ramps, I suppose I could remove the rubber filler cap and drain any excess that is now over the the level of the filler hole.

The biggest challenge I had with this was getting the new oil in. It just went very slowly. I had to cut a 4 inch vinyl tube piece to push onto the end of the oil bottle spout (though it fell off a few times) so I could move the bottle up above the fill hole. It was still a bit hard to reach in and squeeze the bottle so I found it useful to cut a small vent hole in the top to get rid of the vacuum. The tube end inside the diff needed to be above the fluid level so that the air pressure on the oil did not prevent the oil from flowing into it. Still it took a long time to get the oil into it.

Last edited: