HOW TO: Avoid fingerprints on your rear window ('02-03)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
In 2004, Jeep Liberties came factory with a rear window pad that mounts in the bottom center of the rear window. The pad from the '04 is available from your Jeep dealer, ask for part 55360709AA. This part is $10. It comes as basically a piece of plastic with high-grade double stick tape on it.

To install:

1. Clean window well, alcohol is recommended.
2. Remove red sticker paper from back of the pad
3. Carefully apply to the vehicle. Be very careful about the placement, you'll only get one shot as the pad is very, very sticky.

Thats all there is to it! I still cant believe it took so long to figure this was a necessary addition... (2 model years w/o it)

-Blu

Troysterr

Reaction score
Weird...I bought my '02 KJ in June 2001, and it has that pad--I never have to touch my glass to close my rear window. Am I missing something?

2003KJ

Reaction score
it wasn't a model year thing. Some have em, some dont, on every year. My 03 doesn't, and next time i'm at the dealer, i'm gonna pick one up.

My neighbor a couple of doors down has an 03 (exactly like mine, just blue) and he has one, where as myself, and my other neighbor further down the road who has a freedom KJ with out the graphics, don't have one. All are 2003 models.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
*I* always thought, and observed that '02s have them, '03s don't ALL have them, and '04s do... I don't know if the '05s do or not, but I will check it out tomorrow or Tuesday when I take the KJ in for an oil change.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wellp, My 02 doesnt. My guess is that they introduced the pads in mid '03. So from the dealer none of the 02s would have them stock, but it would likely be something the dealer would slap on if selling used, etc. What can it cost them, $1 maybe?

-Blul

2003KJ

Reaction score
BluPhant said:
Wellp, My 02 doesnt. My guess is that they introduced the pads in mid '03. So from the dealer none of the 02s would have them stock, but it would likely be something the dealer would slap on if selling used, etc. What can it cost them, $1 maybe?

-Blul

Mine's a late 03. May of 2003 to be exact.

Troysterr

Reaction score
So from the dealer none of the 02s would have them stock, but it would likely be something the dealer would slap on if selling used, etc.
No, I believe my '02 was the first or second driven off of my dealer's lot, two days after the first ones came off the truck, and it had it. So they must have discontinued them some time during the '02 model year, then brought them back.

Or maybe they ran out at some point and decided it wasn't a big enough deal to hold up production?

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, whatever the case, it's borderline ******** not to have one, imho :)

-Blu

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
early 02's had them, then taken off up until late 03 or 04
there was such a high demand for that piece of plastic, dc put it back on
my 02 didnt have it..
i think they all go hand in hand with the lowering, and the 4x4 badging being moved from the quarter panel to the rear gate

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone post a pic? I've been looking at other Libs on the road, and fail to see one of these.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

You can see the pad behind the top of the spare. Maybe someone can post a better pic; I just happened to remember I had taken a shot from the rear and cropped it down to show the pad. Mine didn't come with one, but $10 bucks and two minutes cured that. It does make a difference.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
even with that pad, everone else that closes that thing, touches everywhere else but.....
yelled at my mom and a few friends for doing that a few times....i dont mind if the she's all grimey...but after i clean her...i get really **** about it

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Oh, I got that too. Solution? Tell them that the stress caused by the bending of the glass could cause it to break. Tell them that you they better have the money for an OEM Mopar replacement! \:D/

2003KJ

Reaction score
SiLveRLiB2k2 said:
even with that pad, everone else that closes that thing, touches everywhere else but.....
yelled at my mom and a few friends for doing that a few times....i dont mind if the she's all grimey...but after i clean her...i get really **** about it

Atleast you have one...LOL. Every time I wash it, it seems like i need to get something out of there. On the other hand, I've gotten realy good at closing it with one finger on the extreme lower corners of the glass...LOL.

csukoh78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gary Mathews Jeep....Stealership

I don't know how you were able to get that for $10, I called my local Jeep dealership and they quoted me $29......for a piece of plastic with double sided tape....

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You both got ripped, off then. The MSRP on it is only 11.20, but keep in mind that some dealers mark MSRP up, a lot around DC do, and some charge below MSRP. Makeitmopar.com charges 25% below MSRP on OEM parts and 20% below on accessories. $8.40 plus shipping in this case.

55360709AA $11.20 $0.00 $8.40
Lift gate - Lift glass - Pad - Glass shield
Glass shield 2002 - 2005