How often do you add air?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do larger tires in general lose air faster then smaller car tires? I have really nice Bridgestones on my Honda that I rarely have to add air too. My stock Goodyears seem to need air every month. I hope it's not that they are just stock. Or is it just big tires?

BTW, I sure like the EVIC showing the tire preasure. Nice feature!

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my BFG ATs for almost two years now and I have had to add air to them twice, after the first month....genius at tire shop but on a bad valve. So I would say that the quality of the tire and the quality of the mounting job and hardware make more of a difference than size of the tire. I check a couple of times a month. My father's motorhome which has 22.5 inch wheels and monster truck tires on it is about three years old now. We check the air in it at least once a month and have not had to add air yet. So, in my experience at least, the size is not relative to how often you add air. But that is just my experience. No hard data other than that to base it on.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yoda13 said:
I have had my BFG ATs for almost two years now and I have had to add air to them twice, after the first month....genius at tire shop but on a bad valve. So I would say that the quality of the tire and the quality of the mounting job and hardware make more of a difference than size of the tire. I check a couple of times a month. My father's motorhome which has 22.5 inch wheels and monster truck tires on it is about three years old now. We check the air in it at least once a month and have not had to add air yet. So, in my experience at least, the size is not relative to how often you add air. But that is just my experience. No hard data other than that to base it on.

Well something is wrong as I feel they lose air too often. I really do not want to spend the $$$ on new tires yet. I wonder if I should talk to the dealer? Would they be covered, or would they tell me to talk to Goodyear?

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would imagine that you would need to talk to Goodyear, but you might talk to the dealer. Worst thing they are going to say is to talk to Goodyear. I don't think the tires should lose air like that either. Something sounds fishy to me. I don't believe my old Wranglers lost air like that. I would have it checked out myself. Let me know what happens :-k

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire pressure

Tire pressure changes with temperature. Also, different rubber compounds lose air naturally at different rates.

I have three different vehicles with three different tire styles. Although they don't all air down at the same rate, they all need to be aired about 4 to 6 times annually. You'll need to check air most often in Fall, with a combination of natural bleeding and cooler temperatures.

If all four of your tires are losing air at the same rate, it's probably the materials in your tire rather than any problem. I wouldn't worry about it.

Keeping your pressure up improves mileage, performance and tire life. Check often. Don't forget the spare!

2003KJ

Reaction score
Mine loose about a pound to two punds every month or so. I like to check mine every couple of weeks, just because I need to make these last as long as they can.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I feel better. I do watch the pressure on the EVIC (gotta love that!). They seem to loose two pounds per month. Now this gives me an excuse to buy my own air pump!

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
just found out my stupid tire guage was busted. kept telling me it was @30 psi....used my friends nicer guage, reported it at 25psi.....friggin 5 off, when i put er all the way up to 40..both guages reported the same..... ](*,)

snest

Reaction score
Air Pressurs in BFG AT

yoda13 said:

Crysler proposes 33 psi front / back for the stock tires (Good Year).

what Air Pressure you use with BFG AT
for traveling 3 (passengers)?
for every day use ?