How many miles do the engines go for? 03 kj

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running a 2003 kj sport 3.7 l w/ 126k miles. ****** is going bad but how long does the engine it self go for? relatively decent amount of miles? Im going to use this to guage how much I want to spend on the transmission issue. ($2k for rebuild-2 yr warranty and $1300 for used-6month warranty) or if i want to try to find a used ****** myself (risky!)

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

keeponjeepin

Reaction score
I sent you a PM that I have a 56700 mile transmission & transfer case with torque convertor available. Came out of a 03 Sport that was wrecked. No gaurantees but I used the engine in my wife's Liberty - been running great for 6 months. Let me know your thoughts. KeepOnJeep'n

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
depends on how it has been maintained
My 04 is at almost 167,000 , talking to my buddy today and he was 14 miles from 195,000 on his 03 but both have had all maintenace done on them all along from new
I'm looking at 250,000 on mine I'd say easy

seabass1858

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines an 02 and at 90k and pushing oil through the vacuum lines and ive been through 3 pcv valves in the 10k that I owned it, but im hoping its a fluke thing that will clear it self out, otherwise ive seen them 200+k, and the 45rfe ****** I heared nothing but good about if you have one of the early 03s that it came in.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 with 100k and 5 speed , It runs better than new- uses no oil, just removed the rustys lift and replaced w/ome springs and shocks, now it even drives like a dream.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I just needed positive reinforcement. Havin a lot of problems. I went to aamco for the trans FYI.

IsaiahBarnfield

Full Access Member
Reaction score
161000 miles. No problems yet. Also, checked a carfax (I got it with 160000) and it has never had any major repairs reported. Maybe a ball joint or something is all. Still runs great.

mtrionfo

Reaction score
Current mileage

Just passed 200K miles. Only major replacements under the hood have been radiator and water pump, both done at 150K. (Serp belts and tensioner too, of course, but those are wear items.)

Jeep still runs smooth with plenty of power. Yesterday I ordered four new Kumho KL61 AT's, so I expect to get many more miles out of my Liberty.

Attachments

• Jeep_odo_200K.jpg
    Jeep_odo_200K.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 16

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 136,000 on my 03 Sport and the engine is still purring. I need to replace my serpentine belt and tensioner, but as stated previously, those are normal wear items. I'm planning to move to a Grand Cherokee some time next year, and I don't have any concerns about my KJ making it that long.