How many days ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

musicaldoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, on a nonsense night without anything interesting to do, some frends of mine and I have started speaking about car industry and automated assembling factory lines, and we could not come to an agreement on how many days are needed to complete a car.

Does anybody know how many days are needed to make a Liberty in Toledo lines from 0% to 100% completed and tested before shipping ? idea.gif

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I can't say for a KJ,but when my father bought a new John Deere tractor 5 yaers ago we got invited to the plant to watch it being built. It only took 12 hours from bare steel to rolling off the line under it's own power.

welby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I can't say for a KJ,but when my father bought a new John Deere tractor 5 yaers ago we got invited to the plant to watch it being built. It only took 12 hours from bare steel to rolling off the line under it's own power.

^ That sounds like it would be pretty cool.

I've done work in more than a few auto plants, even got to see the new Grand Cherokees built. I'm really not sure how long the average time is, but I've heard 1 week to stamp the panels and assemble the body, and 1 week to assemble the rest of the vehicle.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Also, I know some GM plants are capable of rolling a car off the assembly line every 12 seconds. (So says an engineer)

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At work we have a 2 hour window to ship JIT (Just in Time) door panels and rear taligate panels before the vehicle comes off the line. I remember a few times that the Jeep came off the line and we had to send a hand full of employees down to the Chrysler plant to install doors while the vehicle was sitting in the lot. That was about 50+ ... we didn't shut them down though! lol.

I think the cars are built fairly quickly once the line gets moving (start to finish).

Also, I know some GM plants are capable of rolling a car off the assembly line every 12 seconds. (So says an engineer)

That's correct. Once the builds get going they have a complete vehicle popping off the last end of the line very quickly.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also depends on the make and model. BMW. Mercedes and other high end vehicles can take up to a few days....

musicaldoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the same that happened in our discussion:) !

I do believe that every few seconds a complete car is popped out of the line, but looks a little bit hard to believe that, given a precise VIN, starting from the bare steel, going through soldering, painting, assembling, wiring, and testing, it could be made in less than a working week...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably roll a new libby off every few sec.. From start to finish, probably a couple hours..

The engines, dashes, trannys, all of that is already put together. Ive seen stickers on things in my Jeep that were made over a month apart..

Last edited:

libertyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will I no they build transport trucks in a day start to finish

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the same that happened in our discussion:) !

I do believe that every few seconds a complete car is popped out of the line, but looks a little bit hard to believe that, given a precise VIN, starting from the bare steel, going through soldering, painting, assembling, wiring, and testing, it could be made in less than a working week...
All the major parts(engine,******,wire harness,seats,and ext) are prefabbed so they just have to assemble the parts,like said probally only a few hours from start to finish.Now high end cars like a Rolls Royce or a Bently takes a team of people to assemble it in 6 months.

musicaldoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the major parts(engine,******,wire harness,seats,and ext) are prefabbed so they just have to assemble the parts,like said probally only a few hours from start to finish.Now high end cars like a Rolls Royce or a Bently takes a team of people to assemble it in 6 months.

So You get a new Libby (for example) in a few hours, but it might use parts preassembled somewhere else might be weeks before, did I get it right?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So You get a new Libby (for example) in a few hours, but it might use parts preassembled somewhere else might be weeks before, did I get it right?

Yes the parts are preassembled by suppliers. For instance:

The company I work for builds the door trim panels with wire harnesses, switches, etc in the doors for the Grand Cherokee (WK) and Commander (XK). Every 2 hours we send of a truck load of doors which would equate to 144 vehicles. Those doors are placed on the vehicles coming down the line at the Chrysler plant within hours. We do mold our door trim panels in plant but try and keep a quantity in overstock so we don't get behind.

joeg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford Assy

Many yeras ago I worked FORD assembly plant and we ran 58 cars per hour.

Basically 8 hrs from placing frame on line to drive away at end.

all components ready to assemble, just put it all together.

musicaldoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the parts are preassembled by suppliers. For instance:

The company I work for builds the door trim panels with wire harnesses, switches, etc in the doors for the Grand Cherokee (WK) and Commander (XK). Every 2 hours we send of a truck load of doors which would equate to 144 vehicles. Those doors are placed on the vehicles coming down the line at the Chrysler plant within hours. We do mold our door trim panels in plant but try and keep a quantity in overstock so we don't get behind.

Many yeras ago I worked FORD assembly plant and we ran 58 cars per hour.

Basically 8 hrs from placing frame on line to drive away at end.

all components ready to assemble, just put it all together.

Well friends... this is what I suspected, but the reality is anyway astonishing!!! :eek:
I wish I could have a tour in a factory just to see a Lib popping out every few seconds!(dropmouth)

Is the "human" action "heavy" in the line ? I mean, on a 100% basis, which is the percentage on the robots and which on man ?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Human activity is hardly heavy these days. Most of the time, robots assist the workers with the big jobs. While you can't go inside a plant anymore, you can sit outside in the parking lot and watch the cars come off the end of the assembly line. It's frickin amazing watching them come so fast...