How do I test 4X4....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepMan180

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I just purchased a 2002 Jeep liberty 3.7. Automatic with 60000Km. Everything is is good working condition but I do not know the proper use of the 4X4 lever. I don't have an owners manual and I hope I can get some clarification:

When I move the lever from 2WD to 4WD (Part Time) i do not notice a difference in performance nor do i feel the jeep shift gears. Being snowy where I am now I was stuck in some of the white stuff and moved it to 4WD (Part Time) with no luck and then 4WD full time high with no luck. It was only when I placed the ****** in neutral and shifted to 4WD Low did I feel the jeep shift gears and then I was able to move....

One thing to note is that when the lever is in part time or 4X4 high the jeep does have difficulty making tight turns (a test I was told to try to ensure the gears are engaged)

Any advise / recommendations? Is there a proper way to shift to 4wheel High? / Part time?

Thanks,

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds normal to me.

In 4x PT or FT, I can feel a little difference in the front steering and the same as yours in tight turns.

4x low should only be used in lowest gear. Don't allow the ****** to shift with hi revs in 4x low or you will induce drive line problems.

JeepMan180

Reaction score
What I find odd is that I don't think the 4X4 lever engages the 4X4 at part time or full time...only when its on "low".

Should I not feel the ****** shift into 4X4 when i raise the lever to part time or full time? Do I have to put the ****** into neutral then engage the part time or full time? or turn off "overdrive"?

Cheers,

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, congrats on the Jeep and nice Username :gr_grin:. You should be able to use your Full time on the fly (no neutral shifting or buttons to press at all, just pull the lever at any speed up to 50 mph) with any combination of surfaces (snow, ice, wet pavement etc.) with no problems. Part time Hi and 4 Lo are only to be used when the tires are free to rotate independently ( loose gravel, snow pack, fresh snow, ice, etc.). You won't always feel or hear the transfer case engaging but there should be an indicator on the dash. The decrease in turn radius is due to binding that occurs when the 4x4 system is engaged in PT Hi or Low and is detrimental to the tires as well as the driveline. You can check the Jeep website to find out more about the system that you have as well as search this forum for more info as it is detailed many times. Good luck with the new toy.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure that the light comes on, and you will feel the lever "grab" in a way when it is engaged, sometimes its not pulled back far enough, atleast for me. I thought it was bad to use part time when the pavement was only wet? I only use it when there is snow or ice on the road between my tires and the pavement.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I just purchased a 2002 Jeep liberty 3.7. Automatic with 60000Km. Everything is is good working condition but I do not know the proper use of the 4X4 lever. I don't have an owners manual and I hope I can get some clarification:

When I move the lever from 2WD to 4WD (Part Time) i do not notice a difference in performance nor do i feel the jeep shift gears. Being snowy where I am now I was stuck in some of the white stuff and moved it to 4WD (Part Time) with no luck and then 4WD full time high with no luck. It was only when I placed the ****** in neutral and shifted to 4WD Low did I feel the jeep shift gears and then I was able to move....

One thing to note is that when the lever is in part time or 4X4 high the jeep does have difficulty making tight turns (a test I was told to try to ensure the gears are engaged)

Any advise / recommendations? Is there a proper way to shift to 4wheel High? / Part time?

Thanks,

Incredibly low mileage for an '02 - great buy!

To clarify, it sounds like the insert on your 4X4 handle is white with the following indicators: 2WD Hi, 4 Part Time, 4 Full Time, N, 4 Lo. If so you have the SelecTrac transfer case which will allow you to operate your Libby differently than those with a CommandTrac case. If the insert on your lever is black and DOESN'T have all the indications above then you have the CommandTrac and you should only operate your Jeep in 4X4 when you are on snow and loose gravel. The following is assuming you have SelecTrac...

First, you are able to drive your Libby on ANY road condition in the 4 Full Time mode. The transfer case enables all four wheels to rotate at different speeds thereby enabling you to operate in 4X4 Full Time mode whether the roads are wet, dry, snowy, icy or anything in between - 12 months out of the year if you want (but don't if for nothing more than saving a few tanks of fuel.) Kinda like an All Wheel Drive system - but better :party52:

Second, if you are feeling binding when your lever is in the 2nd position (4 Full Time) the transfer case is 'stuck' in 4 Part Time - as stated above in Full Time the wheels can spin at different speeds. But in Part Time the four corners of your Jeep are spinning at the same speed therefore creating binding when turning more than moderate corners - which is the reason you should NOT run in Part Time except when on gravel, snow or ice. Even wet pavement can create an expensive repair when turning a corner or running on wet or dry pavement in Part Time mode for more than just brief stints. And it follows that 4 Lo is only for true trail running when you need the torque and have need for all 4 wheels to provide traction.

Since you're in snow country the best way to know that you're in a 4X4 mode (besides the light on the dash) is to attempt to spin the wheels in the snow. There's little traction in the snow in a Libby with standard tires when in 2WD mode - but there is no doubt when you're in 4X4 as you'll notice a significant increase in traction. Other than the traction improvement though you won't 'feel' the transfer case engage and as stated in a previous post you can engage 'on the fly' just by pulling up on the lever. After a couple of accelerating/decelerating cycles you're all hooked up in 4X4.

If you feel the binding during corners even when in 4 Full Time you should get the transfer case looked at. Something ain't quite right.

Hope this helps!

JeepMan180

Reaction score
Incredibly low mileage for an '02 - great buy!

To clarify, it sounds like the insert on your 4X4 handle is white with the following indicators: 2WD Hi, 4 Part Time, 4 Full Time, N, 4 Lo. If so you have the SelecTrac transfer case which will allow you to operate your Libby differently than those with a CommandTrac case. If the insert on your lever is black and DOESN'T have all the indications above then you have the CommandTrac and you should only operate your Jeep in 4X4 when you are on snow and loose gravel. The following is assuming you have SelecTrac...

First, you are able to drive your Libby on ANY road condition in the 4 Full Time mode. The transfer case enables all four wheels to rotate at different speeds thereby enabling you to operate in 4X4 Full Time mode whether the roads are wet, dry, snowy, icy or anything in between - 12 months out of the year if you want (but don't if for nothing more than saving a few tanks of fuel.) Kinda like an All Wheel Drive system - but better :party52:

Second, if you are feeling binding when your lever is in the 2nd position (4 Full Time) the transfer case is 'stuck' in 4 Part Time - as stated above in Full Time the wheels can spin at different speeds. But in Part Time the four corners of your Jeep are spinning at the same speed therefore creating binding when turning more than moderate corners - which is the reason you should NOT run in Part Time except when on gravel, snow or ice. Even wet pavement can create an expensive repair when turning a corner or running on wet or dry pavement in Part Time mode for more than just brief stints. And it follows that 4 Lo is only for true trail running when you need the torque and have need for all 4 wheels to provide traction.

Since you're in snow country the best way to know that you're in a 4X4 mode (besides the light on the dash) is to attempt to spin the wheels in the snow. There's little traction in the snow in a Libby with standard tires when in 2WD mode - but there is no doubt when you're in 4X4 as you'll notice a significant increase in traction. Other than the traction improvement though you won't 'feel' the transfer case engage and as stated in a previous post you can engage 'on the fly' just by pulling up on the lever. After a couple of accelerating/decelerating cycles you're all hooked up in 4X4.

If you feel the binding during corners even when in 4 Full Time you should get the transfer case looked at. Something ain't quite right.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the great reply! One last question: Can I enable the 4WD Hi at from a stopped position or do I have to be rolling to engage?

Thanks

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Up to 55 MPH is safe, usually slightly rolling is enough.

Are you sure there isn't a manual? Open the glove box door...there is a little slot above the compartment for the manual...

JeepMan180

Reaction score

Are you sure there isn't a manual? Open the glove box door...there is a little slot above the compartment for the manual...

Awesome picture. What movie was it from?

Unfortunately no there wasn't a manual. I just ask b/c I was in the snow today and shifted to Part Time from a stopped position....no luck...Full Time from the stopped position...no luck...then I shifted to the Low position and got traction...just wondering if this is normal or should I be rolling prior to shifting to Part Time or Full Time...

Thanks!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wow on some of the answers
the proper shift method of the NP231 and/or NP242
rolling at some speed
#1) trans in Neutral
#2) transfer case to 4wd HIGH ,full or part time
#3) trans back to drive
will work 100% of the time ,provided the transfer case is good
to get to 4wd low is the same but at much slower speed
rolling in 4wd low and drive is fine
letting the trans shift gears is fine ,I have been doing this for years with no ill
effect to any "drive line components"

note also that the trans and transfer case are 2 separate animals
1 can fail and the other remain just fine
4wd low will not work if 4wd high is shot

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
putting transmission to neutral is basically enough for selecting any mode in transfer case, on any speed. Although I would not recommend doing automatic trans to N on hi speed.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Are you kidding me!? I'll have to check this out when I get out of work... for the life of me I cannot get my manual to fit IN my glovebox and then be able to reopen the box... so it's in my door, lol. I had to order the manual because the Jeep didn't have one.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bet you have 2 manuals after your done looking :D

Lol, well I hope not... I had the whole glovebox out to install the courtesy foot lamps a week ago and didn't notice a manual... :freak3:

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your link is to service manual, not owners.
there is no 2002-2003 owners manual on the web. you have to scan one.