Hotshot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tazzsrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just thought I would let you guys know of a mod I just put into my Liberty. I just installed a product called Hotshot. It heats the windshield washer fluid up to 150F. I thought it would be great out here in the winter time since its just around the corner. I picked them up out here in winnipeg for around 40 Dollars. I know some cars came factory with this as an option and I must say at first try it seems to work pretty good. It was a pretty easy install. The hardest part was finding a place to put it but after that was done A splice into your windshield washer line, purge the system, 3 wire hook up. and away you go.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you mount it and splice into the washer line? I have seen those before so i was curious.

tazzsrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mounted it right in front of the airbox on the metal loop between the head light and the rad. cant even tell its there. as far as spliceing goes both hoses are right there running along the passenger side inerfender. you just have to follow wich one does the front and wich one does the rear.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, cool!

How much did it cost for that unit? I realize your in Canada so i can't compare apples to apples down here, but it would give me an idea.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I just coiled silicon tubing around the radiator hose and then some aluminium tape to help insulate it. The washer fluid heats up plenty and works well. But, if you have a cracked/damaged windshield and it is below zero C°, be warned, the hot washer fluid on an ice cold windshield can/will cause further damage.

Also, Canadian tire here in B.C. (Who is the only retailer here that sells "Hotshot" had a recall last winter because some of the units they sold and installed caused under the hood fires!

I recently did a little mod and added two sprayers so they flood the windshield with more washer fluid, makes de-icing even quicker.

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Holy Crap ... now that is my kinda overkill ...lol

You have a mini Niagara Falls on your windshield (biggthumpup)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ryan.....where is the interior A pillar trim cover on the driver's side???

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Holy Crap ... now that is my kinda overkill ...lol

You have a mini Niagara Falls on your windshield (biggthumpup)

I've had those on my Mini for 26 years! When you nail a huge puddle at 70 mph and it throws up mud and crap, stock washer jets suck!
Home made to boot!
For under $15.00 at that!
I'll also be adding an extra washer reservoir as I use 4 liters ever 2-3 days when the West Coast sunshine comes down!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow $40 Canadian? Thats like $37-$38 US right now, that's pretty cheap.

Ryan...

Dude, you got to go into more detail on how you made those. My best guess, piece of aluminum tubing with a cap on one end and you drilled some small holes along its length?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Ryan.....where is the interior A pillar trim cover on the driver's side???

I have three extra gauges that I am mounting and am making a custom gauge pod for them.
I tend to make almost 90% of my custom items myself as I can make them look better and they cost less money. I am trying to make an A pillar pod which still uses the Factory grab handle. I need it to get in and out of the drivers seat. All the A pillar gauge pods that I see available to buy eliminate the grab handle from the design, so those won't do for me!
The first few attempts I tried, everybody here on the home front really liked...
Except for me. I am my worst critic!
I also ran my Coax CB cable to the rear of the vehicle.

Princess auto has them out here

Our Princess Auto don't sell them!

Wow $40 Canadian? Thats like $37-$38 US right now, that's pretty cheap.

Ryan...

Dude, you got to go into more detail on how you made those. My best guess, piece of aluminium tubing with a cap on one end and you drilled some small holes along its length?

Alright then!

Here is a list of materials I used:
2 length of aluminium tubing
(The company who make it is called K-S Engineering out of Chicago, Illinois.
Stock number 1112 7/32 X 0.014 is the size.)
I went to a good Hobby shop and bought
8 feet silicone tubbing which fits very tightly over the aluminium tube.
From a pet store/Aquarium supply!
Small tubbing cutter.
small wire wraps
2 brass (or plastic "T" pieces) to splice into factory washer tubbing
Also from the pet store/Aquarium supply
2 rubber grommets (Optional)

With a small tubbing cutter, cut the tubbing to the desired Length (48 cm/ 18 7/8 inches in my case.)
Simply pinch the uncut end 3/16 of an inch shut.
Mark out with a fine tip Sharpie where you want to drill/file the holes where you want the washer fluid to come out.
I used a very small jewellers file to make 5 small slots in the aluminium tubing.
Then on the end that I cut the alum. tube with the tubbing cutter, I slid the silicon hose 3/8" over the aluminium tube.
(When the tubbing cutter cuts the tube, it make a nice rounded shoulder on the alloy tubbing, making it easier to get the silicon hose on! A little spit also helps to "lube it up" at bit.

Next, you use the small tie wraps to attach the aluminium "washers" to the windshield wiper blade and angle the slots/holes in the alum. tube to where you want it to spray on the windshield.

From there, I drilled a hole next to the wiper pivot in the plastic cowl trim panel. Slide a rubber grommet over the silicon hose and then install the grommet into the cowel trim panel.
Once you have both sides done and the silicon hose is under the cowel trim panel, you can then splice into the Factory washer hose.
Make sure you cut the Factory hose after the one way check valve that is installed on the Factory washer hose so that the washer fluid does not drain back down the length of the washer hose. That way the sprayers will spray quicker and the washer pump will remain primed with washer fluid.
You can also just by pass the stock washer jets and just have the ones on the wiper blades. This provides for spraying power and works better over all!

I am adding an additional washer fluid reservoir and pump to my system for three reasons.
1. More washer fluid
2. More spraying pressure for both my washers and the sock washer jets.
3. I can run straight methyl hydrate in the second tank in the winter as it de- ices the best!

Jen didn't get any pictures of me Effing around under the cowel trim panel.
Othewise I'd have a shot of the one way check valve!

Last edited: