Horn not working properly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DennisTheMudMenace

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty sport. 3.7L 4x4

Before when I honked my horn it was loud and there were 2 horns going simultaneously . Now when I honk there is only 1 horn honking and its very weak.

Does anyone know how the system works? is there only 1 fuse for both sounds the horn makes? And what possible causes would do this? When I honk i can still hear the relay click so I'm pretty confident that the relay is okay.

Last edited:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably blown. I had one blown and one on the way out. Replaced them both with the FIAMM Freeway Blaster Low and FIAMM Freeway Blaster High. Made an incredible difference. The horns on my 03 Renegade were located under the battery and tray. Will be replacing them on my Titan soon as they are nicely placed right behind the grill. They are very easy to replace.

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, every time I see this thread I think to myself, "who needs a horn?". Might just be me, I don't think I've ever used one before... maybe a small "toot" when someone doesn't notice the light turn green...

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, every time I see this thread I think to myself, "who needs a horn?". Might just be me, I don't think I've ever used one before... maybe a small "toot" when someone doesn't notice the light turn green...

Pretty necessary honestly. I've had many times where people were attempting to merge into me without any regard for what is next to them. And it takes a horn BLARE for them to get back into their lane. And this is coming from the guy that moves out of people's blind spots ASAP.

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah... maybe its just my reflexes are not up to par... gut reaction never goes to the horn, always seems to be an after thought. I remember back when I did my drivers course, I turned and someone was about to run into me, I gunned it out of the way. The instructor blurted out "HONK!", which I did... about 10 seconds later... what was too late of course.

Not saying it's not a good tool to use, just saying I never think to use it.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Guess that's the order of "defensive driving" nowadays...horn first, followed by "the finger", then brake pedal, and then if all else fails, use the steering wheel to swerve out of harms way. :happy175:
That's different from how I was taught, I could live without a horn. The only way I know my horn works is when I'm locking the Jeep.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess that's the order of "defensive driving" nowadays...horn first, followed by "the finger", then brake pedal, and then if all else fails, use the steering wheel to swerve out of harms way. :happy175:
That's different from how I was taught, I could live without a horn. The only way I know my horn works is when I'm locking the Jeep.
Come visit MA. You will find your horn pretty quick haha.

DennisTheMudMenace

Reaction score
Second question... are the horns waterproof? Because I had to cut my fenders off so my new rims and tires could fit. But now water and mud gets in there and I'm starting to think that's my problem with the horn...

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Second question... are the horns waterproof? Because I had to cut my fenders off so my new rims and tires could fit. But now water and mud gets in there and I'm starting to think that's my problem with the horn...

I could imagine if mud or any debris got in there it could cause some issues.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up new FIAMM Freeway Blaster High & Low Horns for my Titan. Will be installing them this weekend. I use my horn all the time. Too many people not paying attention.

DennisTheMudMenace

Reaction score
Turns out if you fill your horn with mud, it stops working lol. I pulled it out and sure enough it was full. I just threw in a new one and they both are fine again.

DennisTheMudMenace

Reaction score
So I replaced it with the FIAMM freeway blaster low (same one you got), and she's all good again.
The horns are kind of off timing though, so when I honk one goes then the second one kicks in after like half a second.