Hitch Installed..Couple questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went with the U-Haul hitch and install. Class III,/ $159.00 installed which includes $5.00 for a lifetime warrenty that covers, corrosion, failure, damage, and replacement even if the vehicle is stolen.... Black Powdercoat, tubular.
I'll be doing my own wire harness once UPS delivers it........

Question,,,,will need to add a ball and Ball hitch to receiver. Any suggestions for which ball size is most common and should I go with a straight ball hitch or get a drop hitch ?

Receiver does not stick out past bumper,,,is basically flush with it.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the drop or rise of the ball mount depends on the height of the trailer coupler when the trailer is level. It also depends on the end of the couple on how close it can come to the spare tire. You will probably want an extended ball mount. It will take about 14-16" to extend past the spare tire.

To determine the rise/drop needed for the ball mount measure the height from the ground to the top of the square on the reciever, then measure from the ground to the bottom of the trailer coupler when the trailer is level. The difference in the height is the amount of rise or drop that is needed.

Common trailer coupler sizes for balls are 1 7/8" and 2", The 2" is the common size for boat trailers.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is only the hitch receiver (the square hole) visible and the rest is up behind the bumper? Or can you see the entire hitch?

I've been looking around for a hitch and I’ve seen two different hitches on libertys. One that tucks up behind the bumper and the Receiver is lowered and is the only thing that’s visible from under the bumper. Then the other is a hitch where you can see the whole thing under the bumper and nothing is hiding.

I know I probably poorly described everything but I hope you see what I’m trying to find out.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the factory hitch on mine and it does not stick out past the bumper. I don't know what to tell you about the hitch you mentioned that hangs down. As to the drawbar it depends on your trailer coupler. I have 3 trailers and also have towed another that belongs to a friend. They are all a little different. For instance, my utility trailer needs a drawbar with a 2 1/2" drop to clear the spare tire and sit level. My boat trailer won't tow right with the 2 1/2" drop so I had to get another drawbar that was 14" long with no drop or I couldn't hook it up because it wouldn't clear the spare tire. They all use a 2" ball but the drawbars I need are different. I seem to have a collection of different drawbars. You want your trailer tongue level when it's hooked up also.

I hope I'm explaining this right and that it helps.

Do what especo said about figuring drop.

Dave

Last edited:

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I probably poorly described everything but I hope you see what I’m trying to find out.

I understand what you are describing. I am thinking that the ones where you see the hitch are aftermarket-type hitch models, and the ones that are hidden well, are mopar, factory/dealer installed type models.

I've seen some aftermarket hitches on SUVs recently that would have quite the impact on rear end ground clearance, and if I were to install an after market model, that is something I would take into consideration before making a purchase.

Also, for what it is worth, I use a standard length ball mount, and find there to be sufficient room below the spare tire for me to get all hooked up.

joeg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ChiefRudy

You can see the tube and the receiver below the bumper. The receiver is approx. 1" below the bumper and flush with the outside edge of the bumper. The tube runs about even with the center of the fuel tank. Didn't really lose any ground clearance Visible but not bad at all.

I'll try to post a Pic. after dinner.....

joeg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hitch Pic....

This should clarify........
You must be registered for see images

Last edited: