High Pitch Whistling...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I've been noticing a high pitch whistling noise while driving my Jeep lately. I only hear it when I'm on the accelorator, if I let off it stops, and when I get back on it, it starts again. I only hear it after the Jeep has been running for a while. Like I may make a trip to the store and back (15 mile round trip) and it not do it the whole time, but if I run a few errands after I go to the store and grab a bite to eat it will probably be doing it before I get home. I'm not sure what it is or if its even a problem, but its kind of annoying because its really pretty loud I can usually hear it over my radio when its about 1/4 volume. I kinda sounds like its coming from behind me when I'm driving but I'm not sure.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a disconnected/dry rotted/damaged vacuum line somewhere. Pop the hood, with engine running and listen, watch out for the fan blade(s).

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have an aftermarket intake tube and filter on your KJ? When I put one on mine it whistled... so I went back to the stock airbox...

Green Liberty

Reaction score
Took mine in twice for this:

Component Description:
5. ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE Bulletin Number: 0900107
Bulletin Date: Mar 2007

Vehicle: 2,007 Jeep Liberty
Summary:
INTAKE - TO - THROTTLE BODY JOINT MAY CAUSE A WHISTLE - LIKE SOUND ON 3.7L ENGINES. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10021422 )

If I let off gas or gave it a little more, it would go away.

still does it some in the winter. I just live with it.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend's '06 does it when under load, such as climbing a high at highway speeds. I never worried about it because it hasn't caused any drivability problems.

My '03 has never made a peep. It's the good child.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Is it a constant whistle? or does it fluctuate with the speed your traveling?

Well it only does it when I'm on the gas and have been driving for a while.

Do you have an aftermarket intake tube and filter on your KJ? When I put one on mine it whistled... so I went back to the stock airbox...

Nope its stock.

JL Audio makes a nice subwoofer system that will give you more umph at 1/4 volume.

Yeah, well I listen to country music so the only bumpin I need comes from the gravel road.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tryed to look this up for you and this is what I found. Hope it helps out.
INTAKE - TO - THROTTLE BODY JOINT MAY CAUSE A WHISTLE - LIKE SOUND ON 3.7L ENGINES. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10021422 )
Service bulletin 0900107
Sounds like that can drive you crazy and not let you enjoy the ride.
Check your throttle body and let us know.

Members online

No members online now.