High idle rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kamileon

Reaction score
I have an 02 kj with 125k miles. Never any major issues other than just rebuilt the transmission. Recently it started to die when I stop and put it in park. This has only happened twice. Now when I cold start it it has a high rpm, around 2000. It drops to around 1000 and then jumps back up. Once the engine warms up it stops, or if the engine is warm when I start it it doesn't happen. Any ideas what the problem may be. Thanks for the help.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that happen to my jeep on occasion as well.
Don't think it's anything to call for concern.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The IAC controls the idle and generally builds carbon worse than your chimney!
You will probably find that the port and IAC spring is really gunked up!
I only clean the IAC with the pintle side down, use a tooth brush & Carb cleaner if it is really bad.
Throttle body cleaner you can try as well, but often it is just not strong enough to really get the port clean.
I sprayed carb cleaner onto precision tip Q-tips to get the outside hole/ mating surface spotless.
Also check the throttle plate to ensure it is clean and freely moving open to closed position, and not binding anywhere.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife had the same problem and a good cleaning of the throttle body and a new iac solved the problem.