Hi all, any must do mods 2005 limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indison

Reaction score
Hi all I am about to bite the bullet and buy my first jeep a 2005 limited, against the wishes of my Toyota hilux and Nissan patrol fanatical friends and assorted family members.

My 2 4x4s owned before this was a 94 model toyota hilux turbo diesel and a 2002 mitsubishi challenger, with the challenger getting written off in a hail storm last week I am getting a pay out and buying the jeep.

My questions are what are the recommended must do mods on these jeeps (I got an auto 3.7 petrol)

do the autos require oil coolers for off road use?

what is the favourite 2-3 inch lift kit? how much and what mods are needed ie brake lines etc

what sized rim tyre combo are you guys fitting with out scrubbing?

any other easy or cheap tasteful mods in general would be appreciated

Is there much difference in the
Command Trac heavy-duty, part time 4-wheel drive system and the Command Trac part time 4-wheel drive system when off roading?

also exhaust systems, air intakes, snorkels...bull bars....

Cheers and hope to prove that jeeps can handle "some" Australian outback conditions...

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The most popular kits to lift are these 2

All J Products - Jeep Liberty KJ FRANKENLIFT

Tommudd's Econo 3.5" Lift Kit

Or piecing it together yourself with OME/Billstein/Ironman.. Just stay away from any spacer lifts and the lifts from RRO/Rockfather etc. Even if they say they use OME they are not using the right parts or parts that will work well for the lift along with crappy UCA's etc.

No need for exhaust or intake at all. Snorkel is nice to have though if you are doing offroad that would utalize it. (and frankly snorkels look pretty badass in my opinion)

As far as rims go without a lift the stock wheels are your max out without rubbing.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Since you're in the " land down under" get ahold of Stu, stusoffroad , he has a great lift available and knows he stuff for sure
OME of course are made there and they are good as well.
Don't get hung up on cold air intakes, exhaust etc being good since they are not , won't provide any more HP or mileage
aftermarket wheels 16 X 7 with 4 inches of back spacing after being lifted with 245-75-16 tires

bassmanbob

Reaction score
Gains with an addition of an exhaust are minimal or non existent but it does sound sexy. As much as people like to knock them the K and N Drop in filters (exact replacement for OEM, very very similar to the Toyota TRD drop in filters) are really great at giving the KJ some more response on the throttle. I also went a step further and got a Hypertech tuner which reprograms the fuel tables and really helps with power and mpgs. The lifts mentioned above are exactly what you need to be looking for and as for any outlying modifications there are a few you can do, since you'll be wheeling you may want to look into the front mounted D rings via two receiver hitches. Makes for an excellent recovery points and is a fairly inexpensive mod.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Once you hit the outback we're going to need some pictures.

Have fun! :D

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turn it into a female for free. Castrate it ( remove the Jeep balls on the rear diff ) and give it a little sway in the rear ( remove the rear sway bar). This will give it better articulation and a bit more clearance.