Here is what they found wrong with it and how much they want

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purge Solenoid $303.99
Power Steering Hose Leaking $576.99
Transmission Flush $229.99
Throttle Body Service $139.99
Fuel Injection Cleaning $199.99

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purge Solenoid $303.99
Power Steering Hose Leaking $576.99
Transmission Flush $229.99
Throttle Body Service $139.99
Fuel Injection Cleaning $199.99

Wouldnt really worry about that Purge Solenoid. My power steering hose is seeping, not really going to worry with it. If its actually dripping it may be something to look into. The ****** flush should be done but not at that price. Throttle body service? Whats that include? Dump some fuel injector cleaner in a full tank of gas and call that good.

Amazing what they try to charge for that stuff.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can change the purge solenoid (it's really plug n play) and power steering hose yourself, seafoam the engine and get someone else to flush the trans. Those prices are absurd.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they think you have sucker written on your forehead? I wouldn't shell out $1,450.00 for stuff that I could do in a weekend in my driveway... The flush (the only thing that can't be done in a driveway) is a good price though, if they use the correct fluid.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Do they think you have sucker written on your forehead? I wouldn't shell out $1,450.00 for stuff that I could do in a weekend in my driveway... The flush (the only thing that can't be done in a driveway) is a good price though, if they use the correct fluid.

And changed the filter at the same time.
ThunderbirdJunkie won't pay over 120 bucks for JUST a trans flush, ATF4 or not

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dump some fuel injector cleaner in a full tank of gas and call that good.

Not justifying the price, but there's a DRASTIC difference between the cleaning they do versus in tank cleaner. In tank cleaner is a joke. The cleaner they are talking about is in line with the market around here. Ridiculously overpriced? Yes. Are they all ridiculously overpriced? Yes.

And changed the filter at the same time.
ThunderbirdJunkie won't pay over 120 bucks for JUST a trans flush, ATF4 or not

Where does TBJ get his trans flush and filter change done for a good price?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I just wanted to share it with everyone, so when someone asks "is this price OK" they can just look here and make comparison. Of course I wouldn't get any one of these things done at the dealer (well, maybe just the ****** flush, because even if I get it done someplace else, it will cost me like $175 or so from what I remember, it is worth letting them do it for a little more, so I okay'ed that)
Regarding purge solenoid, they give me a different quote everytime I go in to service and they run the codes.

I have not seen power steering leak and drain, it was always on level it should be, maybe a little bluish stuff around there some place, but never had problem with it, he goes "it will burn and blow your pump!" yeah...

Could it be that they are avoiding transmission service because it is just before the warranty is up?

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I called a few places, they charge $169 to $200 depending on where including crappy Strauss, so $229 is OK.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PS pressure line if even weeping should be fixed ASAP,it will take your pump and/or the R&P out.You can have a PS line leaking and it will not physically leak fluid,for the return line only which should be replaced at the same time as the pressure line.The return lines like to develop very small pin holes in them which will not leak,but the return line is under vacuum while the engine is running which ***** air into the PS system which takes out the pump and/or R&P.A weeping pressure line allows air in the system when the engine is turned off,will ruin parts also.

Induction cleaning...............
http://www.cheap-auto-car-insurance-quotes.com/Mechanical/fuel_system_cleaning.htm

http://www.ehow.com/way_5835510_air-fuel-induction-cleaning.html

It's not a scam,it works and is much better for your vehicle then most of those cleaners you put in the tank.

For the EVAP system I have found one thing to be true..............

It's f***ing expensive(and a pain in the a$$) to diag and fix that system,just like a AC system.

The trans service is on par for a dealership and most independant shops using ATF+4.I pay $200 for my trans flushes(28qts of ATF+4 run through,yes I'm watching the tech),and $280 for a flush and filter change.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TJKJ - good deal, didn't know that about PS pumps! I'll keep my eyes open for that.

As for the induction cleaning....I can personally attest that cleaning the injectors works awesome. Wife's car slowly was running more and more like poop - took a long time and we didn't really notice how rough the idle really was. Ended up having two severely clogged injectors which finally caused a lean condition/misfire. Had B+G flush done at the dealer at the tune of $200, and it idles like a new car.

Given the number of cars in my immediate family, and that I am the shadetree mechanic (I know, scary, right???) I am considering just picking up a "pro" unit since I have an air compressor and just doing them all myself periodically. I've used them before and it was easy to do.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So TJ, you can justify the $600 tag on that PS line? (I still won't get it done there) I did not have any problems with my steering, so how did they find that out?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So TJ, you can justify the $600 tag on that PS line? (I still won't get it done there) I did not have any problems with my steering, so how did they find that out?
If they are replacing it with a OEM pressure line and a OEM return line that is about right on par,if it's just the pressure line it's about $300 to high.The OEM line should be about $120 or so with 1.5 hours of labor.The pressure line is kinda a pain to replace,it loops underneath the drivers side headlight and those 2 bolts are fun to get to.Around here you can get the pressure line for $100 at CarQuest,about the only ones that stock it,the dealerships are using CarQuest's lines since they can't get OEM ones in.

Oh and the pressure line would be seen when inspecting EVAP issues,a leaking pressure line is super common on any Chrysler vehicle and they know it and look for it(I do).

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Where does TBJ get his trans flush and filter change done for a good price?

Before a former employer used the Pennzoil ATF4 approved trans fluid, the dealer, but now, the same former employer does it for ThunderbirdJunkie for $100 out the door, pay for the extra 8 quarts, and slide Mike a $50 for dropping the pan and changing the filters :D

So it costs roughly $200 grand total.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before a former employer used the Pennzoil ATF4 approved trans fluid, the dealer, but now, the same former employer does it for ThunderbirdJunkie for $100 out the door, pay for the extra 8 quarts, and slide Mike a $50 for dropping the pan and changing the filters :D

So it costs roughly $200 grand total.

Darn, don't have that kinda hookup here.

Only think I can think of is get the flush done, take it home, drop the pan and replace the filter myself. I can't remember how much they wanted for the whole shebang at the dealer. I am due for it like now.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Darn, don't have that kinda hookup here.

Only think I can think of is get the flush done, take it home, drop the pan and replace the filter myself. I can't remember how much they wanted for the whole shebang at the dealer. I am due for it like now.

That isn't far off from the actual going rate at NTB/Tire Kingdom/Merchants shops. Now for employee price...

$75 including the filters (rotflmao)

Members online

No members online now.