Here Comes the Rust!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That body seam under the flipper glass is going to be the end of any KJ that lives in a salty environment. I've also got rust under the paint on both rear doors at the wheel well areas. The door rust must be from the constant winter salt spray getting in there.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That body seam under the flipper glass is going to be the end of any KJ that lives in a salty environment. I've also got rust under the paint on both rear doors at the wheel well areas. The door rust must be from the constant winter salt spray getting in there.

Yeah, I keep spraying mine off as good as I can underneith and down the sides after every storm and it still gets all white from the salt. The do it yourself car wash down the street gets busy after storms around here.

Dave

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have any rust in that spot yet, but the latch that the rear swing gate goes into is a little rusty... Come spring i'm going to wire brush it and paint with rust inhibiting primer and a coat of hammered metallic dark gray so it kinda blends in with the paint scheme.

I have a lot of little rock chips and such on the front half of the vehicle, but no rust anywhere else. Even the underbody is pretty clean and free of rust, but that will change with time on the road here in the rust belt.

I hate rust but its something i have come to accept as every vehicle i have owned ends up rusting out even with regular maintenance and washing.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunatly for me the rust waranty expired. I live in Michigan so that's 90% of the reason for the rust. Yay Michigan! But this weekend I'm going to take off the roof rack and try to work on that mess a little bit. Btw, the girl I bought mine from drove 20 miles a day on the freeway for 6 years, I'm willing to bet no one on here has as many stone chips on thier hood as me:)

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've recently noticed the paint bubbling up around the sides of the high-level brake light on my 2005 KJ. I'm seeing it on quite a few other KJs too, now that I'm looking for it. Fortunately my dealer has said that it won't be too expensive to fix, about $200.