help with transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

omega48er

Reaction score
Hi guys, so i just finished dealing with the Valve cover gasket replacement and i need help with yet another issue.

I have an 03 Jeep liberty with the 42rle transmission and when i come to a stop sign and try to accelerate the jeep does not move but you can hear it accelerate. i need to put the jeep in park then drive and its fine. it does not happen all the time, just once in a while.

Thanks for any info.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have to go all the way to park, or will it work if you go to neutral or reverse and back to D? My first thought is that it sounds like your linkage slipped. Or Trans control ECM has gone bad. Have you had the recall on the ECM for the ****** done yet? If not, that may fix it. There is also a position switch that they will replace at that time for no charge.

Edit: Come to think of it...That position switch was for the transfer case though.

Last edited:

omega48er

Reaction score
02redkj, i can go to Neutral and then drive and its fine. i should edit my first post with that info.

I just got the Jeep about a month ago.

i contacted jeep for a build sheet and they also gave me the following Recalls to go have done
N46 TRAILER HITCH (KJ)
M35 ORC FILTER CIRCUIT

btw. it has 97k miles on it . should i be worried about the Trans going out?

thanks

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience is that it all depends on the previous owner. How did they drive it and maintain it? I haven't read or heard much about the transmissions going out. I bought mine on Dec 10th, and on Jan 1st the engine blew. It had 134K miles on it. It is still in the shop. I have been without it for 11 weeks now.

omega48er

Reaction score
^that *****!!!
im thinking about selling it, i still have to change the breather hose on the passenger side bc there is a crack on both ends.

im upset because i did all the maintenance after i purchased it. oil, coolant, filters, valve cover gaskets.

im going to put it up for sale and then buy another one with low miles. or look at a KK or commander, i really like the shape of the KJ though

i hope you get everything figured out on your ride.
Thanks for all of your help

omega48er

Reaction score
i was so excited about the jeep, i been dying to lift a JEEP, will probably have to wait though.
sigh

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't be disheartened. My situation has been a comedy of errors. My thread has 230+ posts of all of the crap I've been through. I still do not blame the Jeep. As Forest Gump said... "It Happens!" There could be a bag full of diamonds and I reach in to choose one, only to fine the one piece of slag rock. Usually when that happens, I will polish it up nice and pretty and make a priceless piece of jewelry out of it. That is what I plan on doing with my Jeep.

I doubt yours is crap. Just continue about your maintenance and see how it goes in a month or so. Sounds like linkage to me though. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in and help you out.

omega48er

Reaction score
^thanks, il get under the jeep and look at the link. i love the jeep, just should have had someone more knowledgeable look at it. and i love how easy it is to work on!

just a question, why is it taking so long to get the engine changed?

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long story short I had a typo, it wasn't the 1st of Jan it was the 10th, but other than that here goes.

Dealer I bought it at fought me a bit about doing the work at first. Then they ordered it and it look a week to get it. A couple days to install it and it was back on the road for one night. There was an error code. P0303, miss in cylinder 3. Took some time for the dealer mechanic to look at it and figure out the fuel and wiring was good, so they decided to buy a computer for it. It got here on a Friday, found out the computer needed to be flashed for my VIN and keys. They sent that off and when it got back they thought all was good. Here it is another Friday and the computer finally got in. I kept it for one weekend. Took it for one drive to test it out. 60 miles each way. Made it all the way out, and the same code came back. I worked all weekend trying to figure it out. Dealer mechanic is off on the weekends. I tested everything the dealer mechanic did to see if he missed something. Couldn't fix it. Took it in Monday morning, and they took it to the Chrysler dealer to have them diagnose it. Took them 4 days before they even looked at it, and then they had to prove that it was what they said it was with the engine builder. The engine builder finally agreed that it was a leaking valve guide allowing the oil to get down into the cylinder and was causing the misfire. They sent out a replacement head. Dealer couldn't get to it for a couple days and then opened the box only to find the wrong head. It was for passenger side, not the driver side. They ordered it on Wed. Supposed to be overnighted and arrive yesterday. I got a call at 2:10 PDT today, that they had not received the head yet, and that my Jeep wouldn't be done today as promised. That's after 5PM EDT. The builder is closed and I am pissed! Yeah!

hmmrdwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Practically every used car is going to have issues. You're rolling the dice if you don't know the owner, service and repair history. Even then, an inspection by a good mechanic is a must. Getting a warranty (or really good price) from a used car dealer can ease the sting from expensive repairs.

omega48er

Reaction score
^yea, thats why i purchased a warranty with my clk550.

if i do sell and get a KK i will definitely be getting a warranty.

hmmrdwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! I used to never buy warranties either. Then we bought a certified eurosedan. That warranty saved us thousands in repairs. Sons KJ needs some work. We knew that going in though and got a good price.

omega48er

Reaction score
alright, so its cold and im putting off getting under the jeep until its nice.

question: what exactly am i looking for? i found a few posts on the wrangler side and its the linkage going from the shifter to the transmission and its connected by some cheap plastic nipple that is prone to breaking. is that it?

omega48er

Reaction score
i did go in the jeep and pull the cover the shifter and everything looks good there, so once the weather gets better ill get under the jeep.

also, should i go ahead and drop the pan change the oil filter and gasket?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.