Help with possible wheel bearing diagnostic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vtivale

Reaction score
Not sure about a search for this one, when I’m on the gas everything is fine but it sounds like a tire to road noise. It doesn’t get louder if I’m turning left or right. Now is the interesting part, when I’m slowing to a stop either one of my wheels or both wheels, will make a chirping noise and you can feel a vibration. I’ve lifted my vehicle with a jack and the driver side front wheel will shake a little left or right. The passenger side not so much.

I truely think it’s a wheel bearing but I’m not sure if it’s in the driveshaft. Only when I’m when I’m off the gas is my issue. On the gas, accelerating, no issue.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the CV joint at the rear of your front driveshaft, where it goes into the transfer case. When that dies, the rubber disintegrates and all the grease slings out. Then it will sound like chirping at first and later like dragging chains.

Latest posts

Members online