HELP! Stinky Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neilbedwell

Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I have a 2004 Liberty Limited with about 155K on the clock. I bought it back last August (2014). It was in decent enough shape when I got it and I've been using it as my daily driver. It didn't take me long to realize that the previous owners (I'm the third) really didn't do much to it over the years in the way of heavy maintenance. Looks like all they ever did was drive it and occasionally get the oil changed. Right after I got it I saw that the power steering hoses were caked with crud. After reading on this site I realized they were probably leaky and well past needing changed. I ordered the parts right away and by the time I got them in it was cold here. I just let them sit during the winter since it was too cold in my garage to bother changing them and the fluid level in the reservoir was not going down at all.

Here's where it gets weird. I bought it in August. It had a fresh oil change then. Around October I changed the oil. Within a week after that, I started noticing a nasty smoky burnt oil smell coming into the cabin. My assumption (after some reading here) was that the weather was getting colder causing some metal to metal shrinkage and the fresh oil had broken loose some crud (and maybe the previous owners were fans of that stop leak crap) therefore I had leaky valve pan covers. The smell was VERY sporadic at that time. I would notice it one morning at the first stop light near work and then it might go two or three days with nothing. It stayed that way thru most of the winter.

As winter came to a close and the weather warmed up, the smell started getting worse. To the point that it was constant. Again, I'm sure it's leaky valve pan covers. Now that it's warmer, I can work in the garage. I decided to go ahead and install those power steering hoses I had bought and change the rear end gear oil (Thanks to everyone here for the awesome write ups). I even went ahead and bought a brand new power steering pump and installed it, too. The plan was that I'd drive it a week and do the valve pan gaskets the next weekend. No big deal.

Well, much to my surprise, the day after I put the hoses on - NO SMELL. Then the day after that and the day after that, etc. THE SMELL WAS GONE. Hallelujah, no more burnt oil smell and I don't have to spend a day changing those silly valve pan gaskets. YAY. This went on for the better part of two weeks.

One evening, I came home and needed to drive down to where my garden is. It's a steep little gravel hill, really steep, with a hard right turn at the bottom. As soon as I got to the bottom, that smell hit me. That old familiar burned oil stench that I was sure I had rid myself of for good. Crap! Well, back up the hill and parked it for the night. Next day, no smell. Night before last, I had to go down there again. Same crap, different day. Got a HUGE whiff of smoke at the bottom of that hill. Then the next day, got a big puff of smoky stuff in the cabin at a red light on the way home. But NOTHING during the day. Then last night, smelled it again when I got home and parked it in the drive way.

Now, not one time have I ever had to add oil, transmission fluid or any other fluid to this thing since the day I bought it (other than the ATF+4 I added when we changed the power steering pump and lines, that's it). Even with the old leaky PS lines, I never had to add fluid. I check fluid levels almost daily - they're perfect everywhere. I did notice last night that the level in the reservoir for the PS pump was above the Max Hot line. I took a syringe and drew it out to well below that line (but above the minimum line). I got one slight whiff of smoke this morning at a red light on the drive here. Could that have caused the smell? Where would it come out if it did? I haven't seen a leak of any kind anywhere and, believe me, I've looked. At this point, if it's not the slight overfill of the reservoir that caused it, I'm completely dumbfounded.

Do you folks have any suggestions? I didn't change the belt, it looked really good. It must have been changed recently before I bought it.

Last edited:

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you would get a smell if you spilt any of the atf4 in there the hoses when "seeping" cuz they dont leak can throw some onto the block and cause a smell .. if it is oil yer smelling then 100% change passenger side valve cover gasket it leaks at the back of it and down straight onto the cat and evaporates away since the cabin filter is right there it comes into the cabin ...good news is the passenger side is the harder one to change!

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reservoir cap leaking when you hit the bump(s)? Half-empty bottle of PS fluid fallen down beside engine? Are you getting high before you go down to the garden?

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reservoir cap leaking when you hit the bump(s)? Half-empty bottle of PS fluid fallen down beside engine? Are you getting high before you go down to the garden?

the garden might be the reason why he is high!

neilbedwell

Reaction score
Well, I do live in KY and you guys know what grows VERY well here........

I digress, none of those shenanigans going on. I checked the cap very thoroughly and there is no evidence of a leaky cap whatsoever. No fluid around the top of the reservoir, etc. and, no, no half empty bottle of trans fluid stuffed anywhere (I did check, LOL).

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I do live in KY and you guys know what grows VERY well here........

I digress, none of those shenanigans going on. I checked the cap very thoroughly and there is no evidence of a leaky cap whatsoever. No fluid around the top of the reservoir, etc. and, no, no half empty bottle of trans fluid stuffed anywhere (I did check, LOL).

did you check the passewnger side vvalve cover ? it leaks at the back between the motor and firewall it will get stuck in there dry up when cold then wont smell till operating temprature once it gets "thinner" it leaks and causes smell .

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Backside of passenger side valve cover gasket. Mine does this. Some days the smell is there, some days not. Oil level does not decrease over a 3-4k mile period. Some days I even see the oil burning off of the right side exhaust. Mine drips directly onto my downstream O2 sensor.. even caused MIL to come on. Other days, nothing at all and no signs of anything.

Change the valve cover gasket(s) and clean the exhaust pipe and that entire side of the engine block and head. Then report back.

neilbedwell

Reaction score
I am going to check the valve cover tonight when I get home. I am dumbfounded as to how that could be the leak when replacing the power steering pump and lines made it go away for two weeks. Know what I mean?

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
abient temprature will affect it. i will garuntee this is what happens it does it on every one l...

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you'll need an elbowed socket to get the bottom back bolt off. i think its 13 mil i cant remeberthe size?

Sephiroth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same, I can see oil on the passenger side pre-cat o2 sensor. I can go a week or 2 without the smell but I have noticed that when I do get the smell I have to be at a certain angle. felpro gaskets should be coming in the mail soon so I should be able to get it fixed by this weekend. check your O2 sensors looks like that is where it likes to drip on.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's definitely the valve cover gasket - I'd guess that the warmer temps we're having is enabling the oil to drip more easily.

you'll need an elbowed socket to get the bottom back bolt off. i think its 13 mil i cant remeberthe size?

It's a 10mm deep well - and while the OP is at it might as well do the driver side too. Take care of the harder, passenger side first. Will make the driver side seem like checking the oil level in comparison :gr_grin:

Bob

neilbedwell

Reaction score
I am just going to go ahead and get the gaskets ordered and plan on doing it soon. It can't be as hard as changing out the power steering hoses, can it??? Looks like just a bunch of crap to take off and get out of the way. I didn't think the power steering hoses were all that bad once I got done.

SWilliams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are fun to change. It's deceptive because it looks like there is a lot of room. But they are not real bad. If you are replacing them it's also a good time to check the ground straps and the harness at the rear of the engine. The straps like to fail and cause some strange things. Also a good time to replace the rubber sections of the various vacuum/pcv lines. And clean the pcv passage in the oil fill neck while you have it off.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are fun to change. It's deceptive because it looks like there is a lot of room. But they are not real bad. If you are replacing them it's also a good time to check the ground straps and the harness at the rear of the engine. The straps like to fail and cause some strange things. Also a good time to replace the rubber sections of the various vacuum/pcv lines. And clean the pcv passage in the oil fill neck while you have it off.

may as well do plugs and clean the iac and TB while at it make it run like a ****** top!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just going to go ahead and get the gaskets ordered and plan on doing it soon. It can't be as hard as changing out the power steering hoses, can it??? Looks like just a bunch of crap to take off and get out of the way. I didn't think the power steering hoses were all that bad once I got done.

I'd go and retorque the cover bolts while you are waiting on the new gaskets to be delivered. When mine started doing this I retorqued and the smell went away for a few months. Many of them seemed a bit "loose" from all that temperature cycling I guess. The smell did come back and I did change them but worth a shot in the meantime. Torque should only be around 12 Nm or 105 in/lbs so just snug.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go and retorque the cover bolts while you are waiting on the new gaskets to be delivered. When mine started doing this I retorqued and the smell went away for a few months. Many of them seemed a bit "loose" from all that temperature cycling I guess. The smell did come back and I did change them but worth a shot in the meantime. Torque should only be around 12 Nm or 105 in/lbs so just snug.

Where the bolts are in relation to the gasket does not help seal the gasket back down really. If the gasket isn't mating well with either surface anymore, it will leak. Torquing the bolts down harder will just mush down the grommets, which have nothing to do with how the gasket seals in the oil.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where the bolts are in relation to the gasket does not help seal the gasket back down really. If the gasket isn't mating well with either surface anymore, it will leak. Torquing the bolts down harder will just mush down the grommets, which have nothing to do with how the gasket seals in the oil.

Yes, I didn't really word my post well. I retorqued to the correct torque. I had several bolts that were barely finger tight, including the lower back passenger side bolt. I could even see the oil drip onto my exhaust. I wasn't recommending over-torquing, just to make sure they hadn't loosened with many many hot/cold cycles. Once the gaskets are worn additional torque is useless.