Help please with Liberty CRD diesel filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronaldo

Reaction score
Hi, I have recently purchased a 2004 Liberty and unaware of its previous history, have been working through the service schedule. Everything has been straight forward and enjoyable but I am confused with the diesel filter. This appears to require a paper/card element rather than the metal "spin on" type which is the only type that is available at my local friendly parts store. The metal bowl has printed around the side “This bowl is reusable” but has no part number for a replacement filter.

Also please can I ask how to bleed this filter assembly; the head is different to others that I have seen. Does it have a pump and bleed nipple please?

I have read the gsbrockman sticky How To: Liberty CRD fuel filter pics and ins but mine has a different mounting bracket as well as different filter body.

Very many thanks for any help, Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF1205.jpg
    DSCF1205.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 51

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have recently purchased a 2004 Liberty and unaware of its previous history, have been working through the service schedule. Everything has been straight forward and enjoyable but I am confused with the diesel filter. This appears to require a paper/card element rather than the metal "spin on" type which is the only type that is available at my local friendly parts store. The metal bowl has printed around the side “This bowl is reusable” but has no part number for a replacement filter.

Also please can I ask how to bleed this filter assembly; the head is different to others that I have seen. Does it have a pump and bleed nipple please?

I have read the gsbrockman sticky How To: Liberty CRD fuel filter pics and ins but mine has a different mounting bracket as well as different filter body.

Very many thanks for any help, Peter.

The Export CRDs that we got from 2002 to 2004 have a completely different filter head to the USA models.....your filter head looks exactly like my 2002 2.5 CRD!

I have just purchased a new filter for my Jeep...Part number 52128698AA from Mopar.....it is a metal casing that allows you to fit the water-in-fuel assembly back on the lower section.

Download the 2.5_2.8 Export Diesel information here....all about our Export 2.5/2.8 CRD engines up to 2004....willl explain how to change and prime the filter and then download the parts fiche for the 2004 model just in case your CRD...presumeably a 2.8 model...is slightly different to my model.

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

Last edited:

Nickster

Reaction score
Hi there Bill - how much did that fuel filter cost out of interest? Mine has a slight air leak on the primer at the top. I have used thread tape on it for now which is working but I would like to replace the unit soon!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there Bill - how much did that fuel filter cost out of interest? Mine has a slight air leak on the primer at the top. I have used thread tape on it for now which is working but I would like to replace the unit soon!

The fuel filter I replaced is seperate from the primer you mention....which is a white plastic section on the filter head body that screws out and then you plunge it up and down a few times while undoing the brass screw on the side of the filter body...omitted in the factory manual!

So replacing the filter itself....about R600....will not fix your leak on the primer leaking problem....you would need to try find a filter head assembly from a breaker yard or cough up a fortune at the Dealers for a new one so maybe keep using PTF tape on the primer thread.:shrug:

StarDreamers.us

Reaction score
Wasn't There a change in the filter body in the last few years? I know I had to buy a whole new system when my 2005 was I for service. Good luck.

Safe Travels!

Nickster

Reaction score
Thanks for that info - thread tape will be staying then at that cost haha although I must do the fuel filter itself sometime as I don't know when last it was changed.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info - thread tape will be staying then at that cost haha although I must do the fuel filter itself sometime as I don't know when last it was changed.

I kept the new Mopar fuel filter under the front seat for some time....meaning to change it!

On a recent trip from White River to JHB for medical reasons the Jeep would every now and then completely shut down as if the ignition was turned OFF. Cruise to the side of the road and look for codes and there were none. Start up and continue my journey while this would happen steadily more often.

At JHB handed the Jeep to a friend who ran a workshop...he replaced the filter and it has been running perfect since then!

So if like me you are too lazy to change the filter.....at least keep one handy in the vehicle!:gr_grin: