Help please 2.8 crd limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

can

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have replaced my engine mounts because of the vibration from the engine side..

I haven't fixed the vibration..
I m hearing this bad noise especially around 1200 - 1600 rpm

My mechanic says that the 2.8 crd engine is very heavy also the engine mounts are poor design..

I need your advises / opinion about this subject ??

All the best,

can

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that the CRDs have some form of Rubber Harmonic Vibration Dampener...I think it is part of the lowest pulley on the front of the engine but I may be wrong....I have never worked in that area on my Export 2002 2.5L CRD!

I am sure all of the real Experts here will chime in here to explain where and what this Dampener is and if it could be the cause of your vibration!

I do know that the CRD has a counter-balance shaft sitting at the bottom of the engine to smooth out vibrations. When my Jeep was fairly new I had to take it to the Dealers for some engine work after my GF pranged the Jeep into a tree.
When I drove it off it had a terrible vibration so I turned back and handed the keys back to the Workshop Manager. He phoned me later to state that the Counter Balance Shaft can be set into two positions...one for the 2.8L engines and a dfferent angle for the 2.5L engines such as I had....they had keyed it to the 2.8L position which caused the vibration!! :confused:

Last edited:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your description is a bit vague, is the engine actually vibrating more than it should?

auto or manual?

You could also try removing the accessory drive belt and run the engine briefly to see if something there is the issue.
The other things that spring to mind are a faulty injector or wiring and if its a manual the duel mass flywheel.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
The CRD hydrostatic engine mounts are a poor design. When they go bad they sound like n.u.t.s in a coffee can. Shake the mounts you took out and it'll be obvious if they're bad.

Most engines have a harmonic balancer integrated with the crankshaft pulley to smooth harmonic vibrations along the crankshaft at various rpms. They can go bad but I think the vibrations would be hard to notice.

I doubt it's a matter of counterbalancers within the engine. They're driven by gears deep in the engine and are unlikely to skip timing like a belt. I didn't know they were timed differently for the 2.8.

The usual suspect for KJ vibrations is the front driveshaft CV joint. It might be worth a look. You can run it without the front driveshaft and see if the noise goes away.

Latest posts

Members online