Help needed to drain radiator coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TinoR

Reaction score
I tried to drain the coolant from radiator but did not get far. I was able to turn open the drain valve as much as a ¼ to ½ a turn without too much force until it came to a full stop but no fluid came out. Not a drop! I repeated this action of opening and closing the drain valve a couple of times thinking that it would loosen the valve past half a turn but it always came to a full stop. I could have applied more force but I was afraid of breaking the valve since it’s made of a plastic resin similar to the upper and lower radiator plenums. Can anyone provide me with a tip on how to open the drain valve and how much of a turn do you need before it starts to open?

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never use the drain valve on the radiator... once you open them - the valve will constantly leak.

It is best to get a bucket under the lower radiator hose and remove the coolant that way. Much faster (slightly messy if you aren't careful) and in the end - no leaky radiator.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Hmmm... both work just fine on my kj. :-s No leaking from the drain either.

AZWFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same problem here... Got the day off, KJ is cold, got Zerex Z-05, distilled water, open the valve...........NADA. Such a Kill-Joy.... So I have to pull the lower RAD hose? This is not gonna be pretty.:confused:

Attachments

• IMG_3888.JPG
    IMG_3888.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3892.JPG
    IMG_3892.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 35

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Same problem here... Got the day off, KJ is cold, got Zerex Z-05, distilled water, open the valve...........NADA. Such a Kill-Joy.... So I have to pull the lower RAD hose? This is not gonna be pretty.:confused:

Had to use a little bit of muscle to get mine to drain from the valve, but it did work. And I've had no leaks after closing it either. :confused:

Good luck!

AZWFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had same expierence as tinoR. You can turn the valve about 1/3 or 1/2 turn then it stops. Further turning begins to back the valve nut out of it's holder.

Close the valve and slowly back away......

Located safety glasses, lots of towels and buckets and went for lower hose. Left RAD cap on to slow the flood. released lower hose slowly. Still a mess. Removed cap. nothing more to drain. Refilled and idled with heater on. Top off tommorrow.

Still glad it did it myself.:cool:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... you guys turn your draincocks and nothing comes out... hmm...

Latest posts

Members online