Help Me Save 02 Libby.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeeperKeepers

Reaction score
OK need some help with solving a frustrating intermittent prob on 02 Jeep Liberty 4WD 3.7 Limited.

For the last year and a half or so every now and then the CEL calls out and throws general codes. Sometimes the car is driving just fine anyway, sometimes car will fall into limp mode, but will resolve on its own after shutting it off, letting it sit, and restarting. Sometimes the light also goes off, sometimes it doesn't.

I've had a hard time getting a diagnosis from my mechanic because the problem is so intermittent, but clearly it has some kind of ****** issue. The question is just how BIG is the issue?

Could it be this, which I found on forum elsewhere: "a clogged MAP sensor and MAF sensor will cause the "LIMP MODE" to activate (trust me) and has nothing to do with your transmission."

A few details on the latest incident:
1. The last codes it threw were P0871, P0101, P0122, all codes that indicate general transmission/overdrive sensor issues. These aren't consistent codes, nor do they always cluster in the same manner, nor do they all show up in this order; there have been other codes in the past, but I don't remember them--these are just the most recent.

2. The driving situation the last time the CEL appeared: I was doing a hard acceleration upon entering highway, and Lib performed it just fine all the way through the gears. Just after I was cruising (less than a quarter mile), I noticed the light. At that point I was traveling about 65 mph looked down and saw it. Got off freeway, stopped at AutoZone, and they pulled codes for me. I was about 100 miles away from home and almost at my destination. For the hell of it, checked ****** fluid, which was right in the middle, and went to my destination about 10 miles away because car was still driving fine. Car sat for 7 hours. I then drove it home another 100 miles (it never acted up at all or went into limp mode at all, drove just fine). Made one quick stop on way before I stopped at house where car sat maybe 10 minutes. When I cranked it up again, it fired up great, and the CEL was all gone.

3. Later that evening, I was out doing stop and go driving—car goes into limp mode and CEL illuminates right in front of the store I was going to. When I came back out, I started up car—the CEL was still illuminated—BUT the car was out of limp mode.

This is the general M.O. of the problem over time. This example is typical over the last two-ish years. I can go months without a problem, but the instances are becoming more frequent, it seems to me, at least.

4. The next day, I took car to my trusted mechanic. I told him the codes from before they went out; he puts car on scanner; everything checks out…solenoids, etc. He cancels codes but he hasn't been able to replicate issues to get them to come back on. The only thing that he noticed was that one wire feeding ****** was not "grounded" (and I don't know which wire it was).

The reason this is important to get finally resolved is twofold: (1) I don't want to get rid of Jeep. I love it. It's been a rock (for the most part). (2) I'm getting ready to bequeath it to my 17-yr. old son for his use, but I don't want to hand him a huge problem and leave him stranded out on the road somewhere. Neither of us are mechanically inclined.

Final details: Mileage 194,000
2 prior major repairs: New CU 3 years ago & new rebuilt engine 1.5 years ago (with only about 2K on it so far).
Recently replaced battery.

Please help! Otherwise I'm going to have to say bye-bye to my little Libby, which will break my heart. I just can't have it being a problem for my son and I need to get it finally resolved. Personally, I still love driving it too, but it may just be EOL time :-(

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what to tell you but I bumped the thread up for you.

Dave

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What codes are you getting? Curious if the codes are related to the ****** or engine - or something relating to both.

Give us the CEL codes and we'll go from there. Besides, we want your son to inherit a nice Jeep (especially since the engine is brand new.) :waytogo:

Bob

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Code P101 is a false code,does not apply to a gas KJ as they don't have a MAF sensor.P0122 is a throttle position sensor code,start with this code as it's a easy one to diagnose,just need a DVM.The 3rd code is a trans code for a pressure switch.

JeeperKeepers

Reaction score
What codes are you getting? Curious if the codes are related to the ****** or engine - or something relating to both.

Give us the CEL codes and we'll go from there. Besides, we want your son to inherit a nice Jeep (especially since the engine is brand new.) :waytogo:

Bob

The codes were for TPS and overdrive pressure sensor (P0122, P0871) but the sensors checked out ok. As I mentioned, everything seems to be checking out fine. My mech messed around the the car a long time yesterday and could not find a damn thing wrong with it…and yet I know sure as anything that it will happen again. This has been going on intermittently for a over a year.

As things currently stand, it's got no CEL and is driving just dandy. Grrrr. So aggravating.

I really don't want to wait until there's a major breakdown before I can get a diagnosis. I trying to avoid that happening to my kid.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The codes were for TPS and overdrive pressure sensor (P0122, P0871) but the sensors checked out ok. As I mentioned, everything seems to be checking out fine. My mech messed around the the car a long time yesterday and could not find a damn thing wrong with it…and yet I know sure as anything that it will happen again. This has been going on intermittently for a over a year.

As things currently stand, it's got no CEL and is driving just dandy. Grrrr. So aggravating.

I really don't want to wait until there's a major breakdown before I can get a diagnosis. I trying to avoid that happening to my kid.
Sadly most intermittent problems only can be diagnosed when it's actually acting up otherwise it's just a guessing game.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly most intermittent problems only can be diagnosed when it's actually acting up otherwise it's just a guessing game.

Or worse they're an early warning that doesn't go heeded, I nearly had that happen, I made the smart choice and replaced my Throttle Body seeing the shape behind the throttle plate it was in. I still say replace the Solenoid Pressure Switch for OD, and the TPS, I ignored my CEL not once but twice when the codes came up stored rather than active and nearly paid for it with a break down in traffic. As I have learned a stored code can be a warning as well. No shop will refuse to replace parts unless there really is not an actual issue, there are signs something is going on.