Help me please identify this tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polestar

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZiWMGDu9gk

Happens during start ups.

Very loud and noticeable. Does seem to go away after 20-30 mins of operation. Does seem more prominent under load, but will as you can hear still make the noise while idle.
It does quicken/slow with Revs. (RPM)

Exhaust leak? Lifter Tick? Waterpump? Piston slap?

Sorry for the shaky video I was moving my phone throughout the bottom chassis to figure out where it's coming from.

Here are some more videos taken during the winter time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rAms0rxSu4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW82qOT1b-g

2008 KK 80,000 KM's

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok you have a 2008 (KK) style Jeep and weren't those first gen heads famous for ticky lifters or combo with rockers?
What kinda oil have you been using? dino or synthetic?
48,000 miles is not that much....hmmm...
I suppose many will say as long as the noise goes away once hot all is good/ok...??
I say try a can of this added to oil..Link: Wynn's Engine Tune-Up | Canadian Tire
I almost bet it will quieten down after driving a while, once lifters get cleaned..
Get a compression test would be recommended as well.

Last edited:

Polestar

Reaction score
Problem is I live in Northern Ontario, Canada.

I don't drive that far to work every morning (2-4 miles)

So waiting for it to "quite down" is not really a ok option.

I have a 3rd party warranty on my jeep, but I need to know what the issue is 100%. They are not going to troubleshoot the issue for me. I've tried different oils, full synthetic, different oil additives MMO, Lucas, better oil filters etc. Changed/checked spark plugs etc. None of this has seemed to help at all.

The video was of me crawling underneath to see if I can see or pinpoint the sound. Just asking to see if anyone has seen this exact noise before. I've looked at every jeep ticking youtube video I can but can't seem to find the exact sound. :shrug:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking through the Haynes manual troubleshooting section, it indicates it could be "valve tapping" which is what LibertyTC mentioned.
It says that

"this can be identified by holding one end of a section of hose to your ear and placing the other end at a different spot along the valve cover. The point where the sound is loudest indicates the problem valve. if the pushrod and rocker arm components are in good shape, you likely have a collapsed valve lifter. changing the engine oil and adding a high viscosity oil treatment will sometimes cure a stuck lifter problem. If the problem persists, the lifter, pushrods and rocker arms must be removed for inspection.:

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you run it for a minute without the accessory belt maybe that will help narrow it down to the engine? Sounds like something from the engine.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Imagine if your neighbours were looking while you had a hose stuck in your ear screwy.gif

Try an automotive stethoscope. They pick up sound well, are not expensive, and makes you look like a Pro Instead!
The bonus is the wife may like your new professional appearance...and may ask to Play Doctor later..
(Cheers)

Last edited:

Polestar

Reaction score
Imagine if your neighbours were looking while you had a hose stuck in your ear screwy.gif

Try an automotive stethoscope. They pick up sound well, are not expensive, and makes you look like a Pro Instead!
The bonus is the wife may like your new professional appearance...and may ask to Play Doctor later..
(Cheers)

That's the plan. Also going to do a compression test to double check that as well. Thanks for the input so far guys.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2007 started doing the loud "ticking" last Winter on cold start ups, now does it after sitting overnight. Goes away after five minutes (warm up). Annoying but no performance problems. Seems like a sticky lifter OR the oil pickup, not sure. Running Mobile 1 for the past 50K of its 130K miles.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '02 has done this exact routine for the last 80-100k miles. Drove my dad nuts when he owned it and took it to two different dealerships and they both said it's just a common ticking valve noise. He tried all kinds of additives and cleaners and nothing makes a difference except hot weather, lol. I figure if it's been doing it this long, it cant be doing any harm...

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score

(Cheers)

LOL.
:happy175:

Polestar

Reaction score
Did a compression test today.

All 6 were in the 185-190~ range give or take a few.

One cylinder did come up with a 160psi, took out the tester, and retried and it came back up to 185~ so not sure if it was just not seated right in the sparkplug hole or not.

Put everything back in and first start up felt like it was going to stall, but then started fine.

Going to attempt to find the noise location tomorrow by use of a hose.

Thoughts? :shrug:

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Thoughts." It's annoying is what it is....makes you think the engine's going to self destruct. You wanna take a rubber mallet and beat on the valve cover until it stops ticking.:angry94:

Just wait until you get the 'GASCAP' error, that'll drive you equally nuts trying to find the infinitesimally small EVAP system micro-leak...starting at the gas cap and ending at the engine.

Last edited:

Polestar

Reaction score
"Thoughts." It's annoying is what it is....makes you think the engine's going to self destruct. You wanna take a rubber mallet and beat on the valve cover until it stops ticking.:angry94:

Just wait until you get the 'GASCAP' error, that'll drive you equally nuts trying to find the infinitesimally small EVAP system micro-leak...starting at the gas cap and ending at the engine.

Beat you on the GASCAP. And EVAP. This did happen already. Had the dealer actually replace the fuel tank and line. Under warranty. It was so bad when fueling if I filled it completely up gas would come flying out a good 2-3 feet. :emotions34:

Only 80K on this Jeep and I would like to keep it for awhile, but yes this noise is driving me insane not being able to pinpoint what is it.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am convinced it's either the pick up or something is oil-starved after drain back. Logic would dictate that if it's a sticky valve the engine would run rough, but it doesn't...runs fine. Here's a thought, what about something the belt runs over, AC compressor?, tightener idler?? Its a mystery.

As for the GASCAP evap system error I thought I had it fixed and was reluctant to crawl under to check the last items near and in/out of the tank, probably is something like yours.

Polestar

Reaction score
i am convinced it's either the pick up or something is oil-starved after drain back. Logic would dictate that if it's a sticky valve the engine would run rough, but it doesn't...runs fine. Here's a thought, what about something the belt runs over, AC compressor?, tightener idler?? Its a mystery.

As for the GASCAP evap system error I thought I had it fixed and was reluctant to crawl under to check the last items near and in/out of the tank, probably is something like yours.

I tried 5W30 fully synthetic oil the best rated oil filter I could find based on reviews on Bobtheoilguy, different oil additives including marvel mystery oil, lucas etc.

I'm leaning more towards which I hope is a problem or crack in the exhaust manifold. Problem is trying to find it. I've ran seafoam through the intake vacuum to try to find it, no smoking in the engine bay at all.

I in the last year had the serpentine belt and the adjuster assembly replaced thinking it was that, it was not.