Liberty Rough idle black soot ... fuel pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yoyoitsjoe

Reaction score
2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7 120,000 miles

Up until this point the jeep has always been reliable. Only issue I've had with it is that recently the fuel gauge has gone bad. Driving home I parked it went back outside to more the car (within 10 mins) and it would not start.. crank but no start. I tried the clear flood (pedal to the floor and turn key) and it started but ran ROUGH and would not stay running unless I gave it fuel. Made sure it had gas and then replaced the IAC. Now it starts and stays running but still runs ROUGH not well enough to drive. It does tend to smooth out if you get on it however a cloud black soot comes out of the tailpipe. I removed the plugs and found that some were still wet with gas. I checked the fuel pressure but I can't seem to recall the exact number but I know it was high-ish. When I was unscrewing the tester (while the car was running) and fuel was leaking from the nipple the car seemed to run almost normal. I am starting to think that the fuel pump is over pressurizing the fuel rail. The idle sounds like this minus the exhaust leak https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fSytQp_1_g .... any ideas guys?
Only codes its throwing out is fuel gauge, and bad 02 (its been replaced but still reads the code)

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7 120,000 miles

Up until this point the jeep has always been reliable. Only issue I've had with it is that recently the fuel gauge has gone bad. Driving home I parked it went back outside to more the car (within 10 mins) and it would not start.. crank but no start. I tried the clear flood (pedal to the floor and turn key) and it started but ran ROUGH and would not stay running unless I gave it fuel. Made sure it had gas and then replaced the IAC. Now it starts and stays running but still runs ROUGH not well enough to drive. It does tend to smooth out if you get on it however a cloud black soot comes out of the tailpipe. I removed the plugs and found that some were still wet with gas. I checked the fuel pressure but I can't seem to recall the exact number but I know it was high-ish. When I was unscrewing the tester (while the car was running) and fuel was leaking from the nipple the car seemed to run almost normal. I am starting to think that the fuel pump is over pressurizing the fuel rail. The idle sounds like this minus the exhaust leak https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fSytQp_1_g .... any ideas guys?
Only codes its throwing out is fuel gauge, and bad 02 (its been replaced but still reads the code)

check the fuel pressure again and record the results. your fuel pressure regulator can deal with the pressure if its working right.

was there any liquids in the spark plug/coil hole?

wet plugs have to be replaced ASAP!
buy the copper plugs or V-groove plugs or be sorry. gap as listed on the hood.

CHECK for stored codes.

Latest posts

Members online