Help me! Airbag light is being a PITA!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, lately, when starting up my Jeep I begin to cringe, because the airbag light has been having a fit lately. Somedays it stays off, and others I heard the dreaded ding and it stays on.

Now, if I put my hand under the seat and press the connector thing together that's on the wire under the seat the light cuts off, and all is well. How do I fix the actual problem? I have inspection coming up this month, and I don't want to fail! What part do I need? :shrug:

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is the jeep ahjjones and what seat are you reaching under? Would anyone know if a faulty seat belt switch could set off an air bag light? I don't think that it would, unless is there is pressure pad in the seat it would.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would anyone know if a faulty seat belt switch could set off an air bag light? I don't think that it would, unless is there is pressure pad in the seat it would.

Yes when I put the Renegade Seats in my 03 Limited I didn't plug the seatbelt light harness in on the driver's side and the AIR BAG light stayed on until I plugged it in.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
To the OP, since you were able to press connector together as is demonstrable, drop by a dealer and see what the electrical tech says. The dealer also has the correct scan tool for the air-bags.
Alternatively you could use electrical tape to hold wire /connector together, and may keep light off.

ahjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is the jeep ahjjones and what seat are you reaching under? Would anyone know if a faulty seat belt switch could set off an air bag light? I don't think that it would, unless is there is pressure pad in the seat it would.

It's a 2003, and under the drivers seat.

ahjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the OP, since you were able to press connector together as is demonstrable, drop by a dealer and see what the electrical tech says. The dealer also has the correct scan tool for the air-bags.
Alternatively you could use electrical tape to hold wire /connector together, and may keep light off.

I may have to do the latter, I don't want to get ***** at the dealer haha.

Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully I can figure out a permeant fix soon.

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score

x2

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My air bag light would come on and off with out any specifics. Sometimes when I started it. Sometimes after it was warmed up. Sometimes when I accelerated, other times when I was at idle. Thanks to a day at the dealer and a new clock spring and air bag the light issue is gone.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeeze Renegade Jay I hope that was covered under warranty..new air bag?