Help!!! Key won't come out of ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I worked as a valet for years, and you've pretty much tried everything we used to do in these situations.
Oh I love it when that happens. One day a car disappeared because we had no choice but to leave the key in the ignition. Then, when we informed them that it was stolen, they um... admitted that they knew the key was gonna get stuck!!! What dummies. Heck they're probably the ones that stole it. People valet all the time just to try to get stuff fixed or get a new car, etc.
eeeh? So when you have an auto you do not have a 'button' on the steering column?

(to take the key out I need to push a button first)

Not threadjacking, I thought it may have had something to do with Jeepowner's problem.

Manual Transmissions Only, Tony. :)

New Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I love it when that happens. One day a car disappeared because we had no choice but to leave the key in the ignition. Then, when we informed them that it was stolen, they um... admitted that they knew the key was gonna get stuck!!! What dummies. Heck they're probably the ones that stole it. People valet all the time just to try to get stuff fixed or get a new car, etc.

Yikes! Can't say that ever happened to us...mind you we had a huge secured area that was only accessible by staff.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had this problem start yesterday... pulled the silver bezel. found i can push the cable forward to relase the key, but then when i get back in to start driving, i have to push a little tab down that is down on the side of the shifter, behind the transmission linkage cable so that i can get it out of park... is this a worn out spring in the shifter assembly, or maybe something easy to fix in there?

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... I have had to pop the bezel off to manually push on the cable to make my key release, so I was figuring this was a shifter issue...
but now my column tilt lever is letting it's self drop down... starting to wonder if I have things coming apart in the column, anyone else have this happen?

semper_rideo

Reaction score
Wow! Sorry to hear it.

I have had my ignition switch stick with accompanying shifter problems in my suburban, but the shifter is on the column. Pulled the column apart. Didn't see anything. Put it back together. Not a problem since. I figure something was binding.

Well good luck.

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i went to the dealer and had the shift interlock assembly replaced, as someone stated it was the problem earlier in this post. haven had a problem since

cmjesz

Reaction score
I had the same issue and as someone stated earlier I tried pushing the button on the shifter really hard and making sure it clicked out hard and after that I can pull the key out. I went and bought the shift interlock cable and I'm gonna be replacing it tonight so I'll let you know how it goes. How is this not a defect?! Seems like A LOT of people have the issue.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeep does not have much luck with the cables do they?
Interlock cable and e-brake cable adjuster obviously suck.
Twice a week I have to use the screwdriver trick on the e-brake pin, to keep the brake from going all the way up, to make it hold.
Ya the rear spinners were recently adjusted.

Last edited:

markd

Reaction score
Key won't come out of ignition

Hey this happened to me as well just a long list in the line of things this Liberty has wrong. However, before you take it in to get fixed or spend a dime try this....there is a set screw on the shift handle towards the front of the handle it's a tox screw.....loosen the set screw and gently pull up on shifter while holding it tighten the set screw....it's worth 5 min of you time!!!!!! if you need the cable it's an easy diy thing.

Latest posts

Members online