Help, Ive broken my antenna

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markm

Reaction score
Oh boy did I mess things up. I got a sirius radio for Christmas and did the regular install posted on this website, and everyting was great.

The only problem was that the built in fm modulator had a lot of hiss, so I ordered the direct fm connection.

Here is the problem. When I went to pull out the antenna connection from the radio the connection broke and now I can't get the rest of it out of the radio. I've tried everyting from needle nose pliers to neddle nose vice grips, but the rest of the connection wont come out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this out. Is there anyway to get inside the radio to push from the other side? I'm afraid I have mangled it pretty bad at this point, so I'm not having much hope.

Assuming I get the connection out of the radio is the a way to put another connection on the antenna or will I have to buy a new one.

Sorry about the long post but I have only had the jeep for a week and I'm freaking a bit

Thanks for any help,

Mark Mauro

Emydol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call Sirius and let them know. They might give you a new one and mark that one as faulty.

markm

Reaction score
Sorry,

I may not have made myself clear. The original antenna plug that was in the radio broke not the sirius one. Now that I am looking at it, there is a small star screw next to the antenna jack. Was I suposed to remove that first. Oh boy, if I was supossed to remove that, it explains everything.....

#-o
Mark Mauro

Emydol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No i dont think you have to remove any screws. I didnt have to on my sirius. Sorry i misunderstood your first post.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
markm said:
Now that I am looking at it, there is a small star screw next to the antenna jack. Was I suposed to remove that first.
Here's what my '03 FSM shows for the connection at the radio:
You must be registered for see images attach

Doesn't say anything about a set screw, but it does mention pulling on the locking antenna connector, so my guess is thats what caused your problems. The good news is that (unless they've changed the design) you will only have to purchase about a 4' cable - it runs from the radio to a point on the right side of the dash where it connects to the cable coming in from the radio. You might try seeing if you can get the locking connector out, and if so you *might* be able to get it re-attached.

Good Luck!

markm

Reaction score
Thanks for the posts everyone.

Well I guess I learned a lesson about researching before jumping into something.

It turns out that there was never anything wrong with the connection, it just looked different than any connection that I had ever seen, so I assumed it was broken.

Of course now after hacking away at it, the radio is now broken so I guess its after market stereo time now. At least the antenna will still work, after I get the correct adapter of course.

Live and learn (I really hate the saying)

Mark Mauro