Help identifying steering noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I made a thread over on jeepgarage since its a WK forum, but Im quickly realizing the forum *****... It seems like nobody will offer any input or advice to anybody anymore, there are some posts with over 2k views and only a few replies, most of them snobby remarks. So I figured id come back here where I always got help and advice when I had my KJs.

so heres the problem, after this horrid winter ended I started to hear a creaking/rubbing sound when I would turn my steering wheel. It sounds like metal on metal or rubber thats not greased properly. I dont know much about steering and suspension but maybe someone here could take a look at this video i took this morning and help me figure this out before/in case anything goes wrong.

heres my link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHZeTdQASGU&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to hear in the video.

Steering fluid level OK?
Can you have someone turn the wheel while you poke around and try to determine where the sound is coming from?

Steering rack?
PS pump?
Tie-rod end?

Just taking stabs at it..

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Good advice. ^

I had a friend with the exact same problem. It occurred just about this time of year, too. In his case, the thing had a hairline crack in the PS line. it didn't leak much and only then when the temperature stayed above freezing for a week or two. We added fluid and stuck some newspaper (remember those?) under it and when we saw fresh drops of fluid the next morning we knew it was a leak.

Latest posts

Members online