HELP!! I think I broke my Jeep 4WD'ing today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AussieJeep

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Went 4WD'ing on the beach today (for the first time) and basicaly gave the Jeep a gut full and I think I broke it?
This is what happened:-
Got bogged in really soft sand, finaly got out (with a lot of help).
Whilst changing from low to high gear range (4WD) heard a huge clunck noise and thought, Shit what was that?
Car went great after that - no drama's.
Got off the sand and onto bitumen road home.
Drove for about 40mins then all of a sudden the car starts making this clunking noise with every wheel revolution. When braking the sound would dissipate.
Pulled over to see if there was something stuck in my wheel - no.
Limped the 10KM home and my mate had a look and thinks it's got something to do with the 'transfer case" cause when I try to rotate the drive shaft up the front that goes into the transfer case it makes the same noise?
Any ideas?
Anyone had the same/similar problem?
Is it going to cost me shitloads of money to fix?
Thanks.

AussieJeep

Reaction score
Hi Fouros,
In Newcastle, NSW.
Out of warranty.
Thinking it's the transfer case or front drive shaft as there is a fair bit of movement in it.
Just done a search on the other posts on here under "transfer case" to see what comes up. ](*,)
Figuring I'm gonna be up for 3 grand - worst case?

AussieJeep

Reaction score
Thanks Mate!
I was hoping there would be such a place in OZ!
Cheers.

When i get her fixed, I'll post some pics!

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not a problem

check out ausjeep when you can

we are slowly building an Aussie Kj community over there

2003KJ

Reaction score
were you moving at all when you switched from low to high? Where you in gear or in neutral? Hard to say exactly whats wrong, but it does sound like something is wrong.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm, i really to not think its something that major. Unless u were in low doing 30mph and shifted it in2wd or something like that, ur tcase should be fine. If it does it with every wheel rotation then theres no way its ur tcase, the drive lines does not turn at the same rate as ur tires, they turn much, much faster. Put it up on some jack stands or something and get under it and turn things and see what u find. The front drive line does have alot of slack in it, thats normal. I am thinking it make have something to do with ur brakes or the "front drive train". Maybe bearing, cv jonints, something like that.

Derek Mc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds to me like the transfer case failed to release the centre diff and it was all locked up. they advise in the handbook to do a neutral shift and if you get a bit of lock up to stop and reverse a couple of feet to take the strain out.

Derek Mc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there would be no loading from the engine so there would be less noise, it does sound as though there is a problem possibly caused by driving on tarmac with the centre diff lock engaged for that distance, It happened on a mates import CJ many years ago, that was what was diagnosed, but hey? Lets hope its simple simple cheap cheap, these are tough little things \:D/

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, i wonder if it does away when he lets off the gas too? If it did then i would understand it being the drive train. But if hes off the gas then hits the brake to make it go away, idk.

Would like to have ur crd though. 8-[

UKKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you are on the road and the clunking appears...are you in 2WD or 4WD.

Does the sound change with this swap?

Check the U/J / knuckles....These are a weak point on 4x4's with a bit of power when you load them up...

The U/Js on my Mitsubishi Shogun were consumable items!

AussieJeep

Reaction score
Hi,
Yes the car was in nuetral when I was changing from low to high. When i got bogged, some guys pushed us back down a steep hill and they said the car WASN"T in 4wd when it was. It was like the front 2 wheels hadn't engaged or something? Changed from low to high again and it seemed to engage.

I did a search on the forum and it seems there is an inherent problem with the KJ not engaging the 4WD gear change at times? The was one occasion yesterday, where I did change it (stopped and in neutral) and it made a huge bbang noise. I have since learned that this is a common thing and I probably didn't"break" anything then?

Car was in normal 2wd when driving on the bitumen road home.
Thunking noise happens in normal drive and I put it in 4WD last night and it still makes the same noise. No change when swapping.

Accelerating, the car makes the same noise - just faster!
Braking, I can't hear it when the car slows a bit?

Will make some calls in the next few hours to see what I can find out and let you know.

Cheers.

AussieJeep

Reaction score
O.K PROBLEM FIXED!!

I'm a bit embarassed to tell you what the problem is ](*,)
It turns out whilst going over some very big "jumps" 4WD'ing, I have snapped a wheel stud, the other 4 nuts loosened (?) and the wheel was about to fall off!
This would explain why the thumping noise would go away when I put the brakes on. It would stop the disc from vibrating etc.

So fortunately I don't need any major transmission work done \:D/

Took the mechanics a while to work out what had happened.

Thanks to all your responses =D>

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats good to hear

at least a stud is not as expensive as a t/fer case =D>

did you get on to Ausjeep there is a few Kjers down your way, and you can get info on the Jeep jamboree next year

AussieJeep

Reaction score
Not yet, but I will be sure to check it out.

BTW, how do I put pics of my car in a new posting?
I tried today to just upload a pic from my computer through profile and it said it had to be .jpeg file or others, and it was ajpeg, but it wouldn't work?

I have seen people put postings on here and big pictures of their cars come up and I want to know how to do that? I saw yours a while back when you were 4WD'ing.
Can you tell me how to post them (Aeh)

Cheers.

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to post pictures

go to a website like http://www.cardomain.com/

and upload your shots

Have a picture hosted on a site (i.e. CarDomain, Webshots, etc.).

• Right click on the picture (first click the pic to enlarge if you are using a CarDomain pic)

• Click on "Properties".

• Copy and paste the whole "location" (ends in ".jpg" for example)

• Come to this thread and Click "Post Reply"

• Click "Img" at the top, paste the Address you c&p`ed, and click "Img" again. Make sure there is a
You must be registered for see images
at the end of the addy

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Studs

AussieJeep said:
O.K PROBLEM FIXED!!

I'm a bit embarassed to tell you what the problem is ](*,)
It turns out whilst going over some very big "jumps" 4WD'ing, I have snapped a wheel stud, the other 4 nuts loosened (?) and the wheel was about to fall off!
This would explain why the thumping noise would go away when I put the brakes on. It would stop the disc from vibrating etc.

So fortunately I don't need any major transmission work done \:D/

Took the mechanics a while to work out what had happened.

Thanks to all your responses =D>

If you snapped a wheel stud, it is likely that they were all loose to begin with. Check back in time to see to who last worked on the front wheels or front end. :-k

Latest posts

Members online