help! help! sudden acceleration!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SiNNiK

Reaction score
my wife has a 2005 Liberty and the last couple of days it's had a real issue with the rpm's dipping down to as low as 500 and then it shoots way up, she said it seems to happen when the engine is warmed up more so than when the engine is cold. i'm scared for her and plan on pleading with her to drive my car instead of driving her jeep, any ideas as to what it could be?

sorry if this is in the wrong forum, and i've got plans to take it to the dealership asap but this looked like an informative forum so i thought i'd ask.

thanks.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
SiNNiK said:
my wife has a 2005 Liberty and the last couple of days it's had a real issue with the rpm's dipping down to as low as 500 and then it shoots way up, she said it seems to happen when the engine is warmed up more so than when the engine is cold. i'm scared for her and plan on pleading with her to drive my car instead of driving her jeep, any ideas as to what it could be?

sorry if this is in the wrong forum, and i've got plans to take it to the dealership asap but this looked like an informative forum so i thought i'd ask.

thanks.

Do you have the rubber floor mats by any chance? If not attached to the hook, they *may* be interfering with the accelerator pedal.

Seriously! It happened to me...

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
SiNNiK said:

thanks.

Do you have the rubber floor mats by any chance? If not attached to the hook, they *may* be interfering with the accelerator pedal.

Seriously! It happened to me...

this is not that uncommon, even in other cars, I traded in a honda civic to get my liberty, and the civic actually had a recall done to install a hook for the floormat. The same thing happened in my girlfriends civic, luckily she was on a backroad. The thing that i always told her was if the same thing happened with the floormat, shift the car into neutral and just let it rev, rather then increasing the speed

2003KJ

Reaction score
While I would agree that the floor mat can make the RPM's shoot up, He said that they dip down first, which makes me think a mechanical issue.

As to what it could be I have not the slightest idea. Whatever it turns out to be it's definitely a warranty item

SiNNiK

Reaction score
thanks y'all, i'll check on the floormats when she gets home.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an old car that started to have it's accelerator cable stick... so I'd have to shut the car off when it did that. But then it was an old car. A new cable fixed the problem.

SiNNiK

Reaction score
i told her about the floormat and she said she checked that when she bought the jeep because it's happened to her before.

dealership was unable to duplicate the problem. :(

if i ever find out, i'll let ya know.

thanks.

SiNNiK

Reaction score
after much reading, we think it's a bad Electronic Throttle Control even though the dummy light isn't on, the description mathces it exactly, i'll post what the dealership thinks.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Unless you're referring to the TPS (throttle positioning sensor), i'm not sure what you're talking about?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
SiNNiK said:
after much reading, we think it's a bad Electronic Throttle Control even though the dummy light isn't on, the description mathces it exactly, i'll post what the dealership thinks.

Do you have the 3.7L engine?

if so...

There is no electronic throttle control on the 2005 with 3.7L.