Help! Grinding sound and intermittent "part time" light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My05Kj

Reaction score
Please help. My Libby is making a grinding noise from the front end.:pp:
It is associated with the tire speed. (whomp whomp whomp at low speeds, sounds almost constant at 30+) Sounds almost like a wheel bearing (but it's not) and I recently replaced the drivers cv shaft... PLUS the part time like flickers and flashes occasionally at highway speeds.. Any ideas? Suggestions?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you rotated tires to rule that out?

part time light is probably unrelated and you may just need a new switch sensor.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably passenger side CV axle and intermediate shaft if you are certain its nothing else. Have you checked the transfercase end of the front driveshaft for a cracked boot and leaking grease? that's all it could be really from the front other than the front diff.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably passenger side CV axle and intermediate shaft if you are certain its nothing else. Have you checked the transfercase end of the front driveshaft for a cracked boot and leaking grease? that's all it could be really from the front other than the front diff.

He speaks the good knowledge

okono

Reaction score
Grinding Sound and Part Time Light

I've got a similar noise that has recently gotten worse. The PT light has been on for some time. I've finally found a mechanic that could identify the problem and its with the transfer case. He said a rebuild will cost a couple hundred dollars.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a similar noise that has recently gotten worse. The PT light has been on for some time. I've finally found a mechanic that could identify the problem and its with the transfer case. He said a rebuild will cost a couple hundred dollars.

Need to take care of simple things first. A PT light on all the time is just a bad switch.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44188

My05Kj

Reaction score

I havent been able to locate any real grease leaks, a local jeep'er said it was the front Dif... with that being said, I dont want to just fix it... If Im gonna open it up I would like to upgrade what I can. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent been able to locate any real grease leaks, a local jeep'er said it was the front Dif... with that being said, I dont want to just fix it... If Im gonna open it up I would like to upgrade what I can. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Unless a boot is torn you won't see any grease. Only seeing grease doesn't mean a cv is bad. Grinding can be coming from the rusted splines on the intermediate shaft.

...oh and to rule out the diff take off the cvs and drive it. If you still have a noise, you still need to remove the front driveshaft with the cvs on. After that go for the diff.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

How many Kilometers on your '05?

If you are going to disassemble the front end to get to the differential for a thorough inspection/repair and you are looking to upgrade the insides, possible upgrades would include re-gearing, installing a locker if you are an avid off road enthusiast.
If funds allow that is.
At the very least it would be a good idea to rebuild the front diff with new bearings and seals, inner axle, etc. if your 2005 has high Kilometers on the odometer.
Also take a close look at the CV joints and wheel bearing while you're at it.
Also replacing/extending the front diff breather hose if needed.
Cleaning it up the diff casing and giving it a coat of paint might also be of interest to you.
Other than that, that's about all I can think of.

Last edited: