Help a Country Newbie - 2006 Starting Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PedalToTheFloor

Reaction score
This afternoon I went to start up my 2006, and it wouldn't turn over. The dash lights would turn on, but the engine wasn't firing up. On the second try, it fired up as normal, and I was on my way. As I was leaving my second stop, it did the same thing, only I could hear a clicking, like as if was trying to turn over, but couldn't. And again, it started up the second time around. Given that I just had the battery replaced back in August, after being just about dead, I eliminated that possibility. The only two things that I could think of were an alternator or starter issue. I took it over to the closest dealership where I was told the clicking would indicate a battery issue, but the computer said that it was fine. And as luck would have it, the gentleman was able to start it six times, no problem. I am curious as to what the root of the problem is, and I'm hoping that my fellow KJers can help. What could be the problem, and would the extreme fluctuation in temperature from yesterday to today (high 20s to low 50s) be a factor? Thanks for all of your help!

cprat76

Reaction score
Clicking is not alway's a battery issue. The clicking you here is the starter solenoid trying to pass the main voltage to the starter motor to get it to turn over the engine. Back in the day, we would just cross over the solenoid and see if it turned over. If you can do that, try it, I don't know if you can on a libby. But I'm betting it's a solenoid. The reason it works the second go round is because you got it hot trying. I bet it had gotten hot from the engine on the way over to the dealer, and so it was working.

I'd betcha a 6-pack of old mil it's the starter or the solenoid.

Latest posts

Members online