Help, A/C clutch cycling on and off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whkdad

Reaction score
Went for a quiet ride today and heard an odd low pitch cycling clicking sound. Popped the hood and saw that the A/C clutch was cycling on and off with the A/C switch off, turned on the A/C switch and the clutch still cycled on and off. I know on my other vehicles, if the A/C is on the clutch stays engaged and the fans are running on high. Is this normal for a '06 3.7L stock Liberty? Any thoughts before digging into the wiring schematics.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went for a quiet ride today and heard an odd low pitch cycling clicking sound. Popped the hood and saw that the A/C clutch was cycling on and off with the A/C switch off, turned on the A/C switch and the clutch still cycled on and off. I know on my other vehicles, if the A/C is on the clutch stays engaged and the fans are running on high. Is this normal for a '06 3.7L stock Liberty? Any thoughts before digging into the wiring schematics.

The AC is supposed to switch on/off even when the AC is not turned ON.
I have seen some posts where owners have overiden this feature but it is supposed to be normal....to prevent screen frosting up I believe.

With the AC On I believe the clutch still does cycle a bit....I think to stop the condensor from icing up. Have a look at what your Service Manual has to say!

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A/C is the dehumidifier also and to cycle is normal to an extent.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With mine it was on and off quick. Turns out I was low on refrigerant. After I did a quick fill with one of those do it yourself bottles it went back to regular cycling.

Members online

No members online now.