Hello there!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zuperzaindi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! My name is Rachel, and I just bought my vey first Jeep! It's a 2003 Liberty (KJ). I'm originally from Dallas, TX but life has now brought me to Colorado Springs, CO. My husband bought his first Jeep about a year ago, he has a TJ. We've been off-roading several times and I knew I wanted a Jeep of my own, but I wanted one that would have some space for my kiddo because he absolutely loves to come with us! Anyway, I bought my KJ last Thursday night for $1,500. I had been looking online at Auto Trader and several websites to try and find one I could afford and every single one I say was 4,000 or up! I was patient though, and as soon as I saw the add for mine on Craigslist I jumped on it. My dad just retired a few years ago and has worked for Dodge/Chrysler for nearly 40 years. The women who sold it to me told us it was running rough and that it had a cylinder 2 misfire. After discussing it with my dad I bought it and we brought it home.

Friday we worked on it, we took everything out of the way to diagnose the cause of the misfire and what do we find? A broken valve spring. I ordered one for five dollars, and we had to rent the tool to remove the old spring. (I also bought a ton of other parts to breath some new life into it). We hit up KBB to see how much the vehicle is worth, and even with the misfire it was worth 3,500. I'm waiting on my parts to come in either Wednesday or Thursday and I should have him running again. Then the next thing on the agenda is to take care of all the fluids and minor damage he has. (The rear wiper won't work, and one of the windows won't work but those should be fairly easy fixes).

Anyway. I was looking up different things I'd like to do to him, like put a new bumper on him, give him a lift, maybe add some lights, etcetera, and I stumbled on this forum! I'm just learning about everything but I figured this would be a great place to get advice and talk to people!

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Always great to revive an ailing Jeep. Excellent karma on the good buy.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! My name is Rachel, and I just bought my vey first Jeep! It's a 2003 Liberty (KJ). I'm originally from Dallas, TX but life has now brought me to Colorado Springs, CO. My husband bought his first Jeep about a year ago, he has a TJ. We've been off-roading several times and I knew I wanted a Jeep of my own, but I wanted one that would have some space for my kiddo because he absolutely loves to come with us! Anyway, I bought my KJ last Thursday night for $1,500. I had been looking online at Auto Trader and several websites to try and find one I could afford and every single one I say was 4,000 or up! I was patient though, and as soon as I saw the add for mine on Craigslist I jumped on it. My dad just retired a few years ago and has worked for Dodge/Chrysler for nearly 40 years. The women who sold it to me told us it was running rough and that it had a cylinder 2 misfire. After discussing it with my dad I bought it and we brought it home.

Friday we worked on it, we took everything out of the way to diagnose the cause of the misfire and what do we find? A broken valve spring. I ordered one for five dollars, and we had to rent the tool to remove the old spring. (I also bought a ton of other parts to breath some new life into it). We hit up KBB to see how much the vehicle is worth, and even with the misfire it was worth 3,500. I'm waiting on my parts to come in either Wednesday or Thursday and I should have him running again. Then the next thing on the agenda is to take care of all the fluids and minor damage he has. (The rear wiper won't work, and one of the windows won't work but those should be fairly easy fixes).

Anyway. I was looking up different things I'd like to do to him, like put a new bumper on him, give him a lift, maybe add some lights, etcetera, and I stumbled on this forum! I'm just learning about everything but I figured this would be a great place to get advice and talk to people!

Welcome, here and LOSTJEEPs are the two best sites for info on KJs ( and KKs )
Best thing to do is read many of us have been on these forums for 10-12 years and more doing KJ buildups
Just research before you waste money on parts ( like cheap lifts ) that don't work

zuperzaindi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome, here and LOSTJEEPs are the two best sites for info on KJs ( and KKs )
Best thing to do is read many of us have been on these forums for 10-12 years and more doing KJ buildups
Just research before you waste money on parts ( like cheap lifts ) that don't work

I'm not going to lie; out of everything I know I want to do I think the lift scares me the most. I know I want to try do as much of it myself as I can, but I get really confused reading all the terminology and names of the parts. I had looked at some lift kits but after reading the FAQ on the Lift Discussion forum here I think I might stay away. I'm just really unsure about getting everything I need before I start.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not going to lie; out of everything I know I want to do I think the lift scares me the most. I know I want to try do as much of it myself as I can, but I get really confused reading all the terminology and names of the parts. I had looked at some lift kits but after reading the FAQ on the Lift Discussion forum here I think I might stay away. I'm just really unsure about getting everything I need before I start.

Lifts are simple for the KJs only a few work and work well. Many of us have been running lifted KJs for 10 years plus and know what works and what doesn't . Simple to install heck over 30s been done in my garage so they can't be that hard to do :happy175:

zuperzaindi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lifts are simple for the KJs only a few work and work well. Many of us have been running lifted KJs for 10 years plus and know what works and what doesn't . Simple to install heck over 30s been done in my garage so they can't be that hard to do :happy175:

That's comforting to know. I guess I'm just anxious because it will be the first time I will do one (but it definitely won't be the last!).

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Rachel.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online