Hello There.... (and some Gearbox replacement advise please)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackCountryKJ

Reaction score
Hello there

I have a 2006 '55' plate manual 2.8CRD with 103K on the clock,

It's a brilliant car, (once I fitted BF Goodrich TAs) ,

I've browsed the forums here over the years when things have arisen, and it's a great resource , thanks :)

Now the reason for joining the forum

I've had it ~5 years, and for the last 3 years it's been slowly getting worse at jumping out of 1st gear when pulling away.

I'm looking at replacing the gearbox with one from ebay, and I'm looking for advise on how big a job it is

Is it do-able on the driveway with trolley jack etc?
Do I need a transmission jack? A Sealey 150kg Floor Transmission Gearbox Jack Saddle Lift TJ150E is on ebay for ~£85.

All advise greatly received

btw, just talked SWMBO into having a 2007 CRD in place of her Renault Scenic which has died, so we'll be a 2 KJ household soon :)

Last edited:

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! First off I have no experience with the KJ manual ******, and I'm sure you'll get some other advice on your issue. Are you sure it's a transmission issue? If it is (hopefully it's not) and you do need to replace, if you are mechanically inclined and don't mind wrenching, than anything can be done almost anywhere, providing you have access to a somewhat decent amount of tools. Be prepared to have the jeep out of commission for a while, don't expect to have it done over a weekend, although possible, some things are out of your control, as in weather,life,broken or jammed bolts, or tool issues, runs to the auto store, etc .... As far as transmission jack, when I did my clutch on my other jeep I bought an attachment for my floor jack, which did the job. So definitely a floor jack is required. If you don't have one then I would suggest getting a floor jack and said attachment, you'll get more use out of the floor jack later, I;ve never used my transmission attachment again(Yet) but floor jack is a must have in my opinion.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tran...=GybAV7rRBM-ImwHWgaeIDA#imgrc=47izxWfKvL2KCM:

Good luck

Bert

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online