Hello, I am looking for a Liberty CRD and need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AAFD

Reaction score
Is there any issues with this new motor? How is the MPG, I drive alot of Highway. Any other issues. How about the oil changes, I under stand it takes Moble 1?

I am looking at a sport model:)

Thanks

KC

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
welcome aboard

it's new here to the states, but it's been out a while overseas.
as far as mpg, a lot of the reports i've been seeing are or have been really close to what was it's rated for. (way better than the 3.7)

there have been a few things w/ it tho, mostly w/ the turbo (at least from what i've seen here )
oil changes, there is a thread about that now actually....

and yes it takes mobile 1 0w30...i think (or was it 40)
thread on the oil changes for the crd
http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1956

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CRD has been in use since 2002 overseas in the Cherokee (our "Liberty") and some FWD Chrysler Minivans. Any issues with it have been worked out prior to its introduction into the US, as far as I know. My wife has owned hers for 4 months and almost 4,900 trouble free miles. Do a search on this board and you'll find more threads with info.....here's a link to the company that makes the engine....their history in engine building and casting is impressive.

I've not heard of any turbo issues to date personally.

The engine uses 0W40 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic (about 7 quarts).

We live in hilly eastern Kentucky and have received no less than 24 mpg since new....it has avearged as high as 25.6 or so with a small mix of interstate driving. It's never been on a road trip yet, so I can't elaborate on interstate mpg as of yet. I anticipate mpg to go up after 12k or 15k miles...it should be broken in by then. You can anticipate about 470--480 miles per tank before needing to re-fuel.....about 200 miles more per tank than the KJ's 3.7L V6 counterpart.

http://www.vmmotori.it/en/01/00/01/dettaglio.jsp?id=11

Greg

n3qik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The two biggest problems are EGR valves and overheating. The EGR valve problem may go away when Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel is mandated in 2006. The overheating is a ongoing problem with no fix as of yet. DC has replaced some fans with bad viscus clutches but people still report back with overheating.

I have had a bad EGR valve and just had it replaced under warranty. I avg. 21-22 MPG all city.

Chaz

Reaction score
I just purchased a CRD and love it so far... I traded in a 2004 F-150 S-Crew FX4 due to fuel cost and how far I drive to work (60 miles each way)... I honestly expected to miss the S-crew, but I am pleased to say I do not.

Chaz

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll love the CRD. The engine is heavy duty and is made by a company owned by Detroit Diesel who has decades of diesel experience. The transmission is from the Ram 2500/3500 truck line so it's heavy duty as well. I'm averaging 24 miles per gallon right now with almost 7,000 miles on it. That is 8 miles per gallon better than my wife's V6 model.

The engine itself seems to have no problem whatsoever. The few problems being reported are from the junk Jeep has added to the engine to meet U.S. requirements. Stupid government... ](*,)

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've owned a Jeep Cherokee KJ (Liberty to my North American friends) CRD Limited for 3 years with no engine problems. It's a solid motor and I love it!

My evic says I'm averaging 29.1 mpg (UK gallons) and I think that's pretty impressive for an SUV.

Ian

Pnorton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MPG is great \:D/

Diesel price is not :-&

I continually get around 22-23 MPG in UT. However the cost per gallon is 2.79 right now and gas is 2.35!!! 53 dollars on my last fill-up.

There is a tax incentive for clean burning diesel engines (up to 3400).

AAFD

Reaction score
Pnorton said:
MPG is great \:D/

Diesel price is not :-&

I continually get around 22-23 MPG in UT. However the cost per gallon is 2.79 right now and gas is 2.35!!! 53 dollars on my last fill-up.

City or Highway?

KC

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here, gas is $2.69 and diesel is $2.49. So I don't think the "price of diesel" is a reason to scoff at a CRD. I hear a lot of people on various forums talking about the price of diesel. The thing with diesel is, it doesn't fluctuate as much as gasoline. So sometimes it'll be higher, sometimes it'll be lower. The CRD is well worth it no matter how you look at it though from a financial standpoint. \:D/

Pnorton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never said it was not wrth it. I would not want anything but my CRD. Just a bit pissed at the price of fuel ](*,)

Right now, I do about 50% highway and city, air cond running the whole time.

LibertyCRD said:
Here, gas is $2.69 and diesel is $2.49. So I don't think the "price of diesel" is a reason to scoff at a CRD. I hear a lot of people on various forums talking about the price of diesel. The thing with diesel is, it doesn't fluctuate as much as gasoline. So sometimes it'll be higher, sometimes it'll be lower. The CRD is well worth it no matter how you look at it though from a financial standpoint. \:D/

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I agree...the price of everything ***** these days. $25,960 for the CRD, $70/month for insurance, $2.50/gallon for fuel... It *****. #-o

The CRD sure is a nice vehicle though, isn't it?

Pnorton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took my CRD off-road and it handled the terrain with ease. The low end torque is great. I love the smell, sound, everything about the CRD!

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pnorton said:

I've heard bits & pieces of info....anyone have any solid information regarding this ? Will it apply to our KJ CRD's ?
Greg

Pnorton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I've heard but I don't have too much info yet. The CRD does qualify. The incentive is for up to about 3400. This depends on size, efficiency, cleanliness, etc. I have a in at the state tax commision anbd she is looking into it more for me.
I too would love any more info. if anyone knows more.

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard that it will apply to the CRD (the tax break) but the CRD has to be purchased on or after January 1, 2006. #-o

Watty

Reaction score
I own a 2003 2.5 litres CRD (Limited edition) with 38 300 km on the clock. To date, no problems. The only thing that one must get use to is the so-called 'turbo lag', that is the turbo only kicks in at about 2400 rpm's and accelleration is not breathtaking before this happens. My fuel consumption is approximately 10.8 litres/100km with driving mostly in a city environment (60-80 kpm). Also it would best to use a diesel with the lowest sulpur content available (at least 0.05%), known as TurboDiesel here in South Africa. Performance difference is noticeable as this type of diesel burns more efficiently, produces less sulpuric acid (wear and tear factor in motor), result in longer service intervals.

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still loving the CRD. Had to have a bum rear seatbelt replaced under warranty, and it is a non-stock part locally. It took a week to get the replacement. It is also just about due for oil change #1, and I'll take that opportunity to have the brake moan problem "investigated" again.

Here's the update on mpg. The red is #2 diesel, the blue is B20.

You must be registered for see images

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice graph...wish mine got mileage like that, lol =D>

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
melted said:
Here's the update on mpg. The red is #2 diesel, the blue is B20.

Interestingly enough, my KJ was purchased 04/21/05 and it has 5,339 miles on it tonight.....just 20 shy of yours.
Greg