Hello from a 2002 KJ in Canberra, Australia

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulP38a

Reaction score
Hi all - I have been lurking a lot on this forum as a anonymous internet user for the past 18 months since my daughter bought a 2002 KJ Cherokee (as they are called in Oz) Limited 3.7 V6. OK... it's not actually my Jeep then... However, my wife has had a 2015 KL Cherokee V6 since new so technically I do own a Jeep :)

So first of all, thanks to you all for the great advice I have read here so far. Now that I have spent many, many hours on/in/under this KJ I can start to give back a little.

She loves love car, and so do I. When it is running it's got a good balance of power, handling and comfort.

It has had it's fair share of issues since she got it, and most things I have been able to sort myself. Last year we had a pretty bad hail storm here in Canberra and the KJ has small dents all over it, as well as smashing the tinted plastic weather shields over the doors. Wasn't worth claiming insurance on the car as it really isn't worth much and our thinking was to drive it in to the ground.

Hoping the current issue isn't the 'in to the ground' event. I will go in search of the right subforum to post my observations and questions around what I suspect is a faulty PCM/ECU.

Cheers, Paul.
View media item 6723

Last edited:

PaulP38a

Reaction score
Just for fun, here is a list of the things I have replaced/fixed in the past 18 months:
  • Power mirror gears
  • Water pump
  • Thermostat
  • Drive belt and tensioner
  • Installed a reverse camera and screen
  • Transmission service kit
  • Front brake rotors and pads
  • Ignition switch actuator
  • New ignition barrel
  • Coolant expansion tank
  • Radiator fan assembly
  • Transmission solenoid block and filter
  • Starter motor
  • Alternator
  • Front prop shaft CV joint and boot
So a fair bit of money and time invested in this car. Not at the point of giving up yet :)