Hello!! First post, advice on getting a new engine please? NJ/PA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vgirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!!

According to my mechanic it's time for a new engine (broke down). So I've been reading posts and searching the forums for the past 6 days...

The whole Jeep is in great, solid condition otherwise. So I'm happy to invest in a reman to keep my KJ going. I know exactly how its been driven and maintained.

Mechanic is very skilled and very good but back and forth on it since I decided to go reman and not junkyard motor. Now sort of talking me out of doing a reman, keeps suggesting I put the money into getting something else, new or newer-used. But. He's not a Jeep person. We're a different breed.

Most importantly. My Jeep, my money, right? Sounds harsh but I just don't see how putting 2-6x the money into something else that I don't want, to potentially inherit unknown issues, makes sense if all my Jeep needs is an engine. Non-Jeep people don't seem to understand this logic. But like. If someone needs a heart transplant no one calls the wrecker on them.

Maybe he doesn't want to do a reman R&R. Which is fine, I'd prefer he just say that 6 days ago. Anyway, I'm a bit confused because he said the parts he repaired made it "run better" than it was but that cylinder #1 is dead. And something about hearing a knocking sound and speculation about a rod. Honestly I don't recall the details because I felt like I was going to pass out hearing "it's the engine" news.

I have SO many questions but the most important are:

- Jasper or PowerTrain or a better brand for the reman? Warranty is important to me so the rebuild and junkyard motors are out.

- Any recommendations for an excellent shop or mechanics in the NJ/eastern PA area who know and love Jeeps? And do a lot of R&Rs? And genuinely enjoy reviving them?

- Could it be something else? It was throwing a cat code but the cats are fine upon visual inspection. And it "runs better" than it did at time of breakdown/tow in with the new injectors, coils, plugs, PCV valve, and breather hoses he installed during the evaluation process (parts and 3 days' labor which I still have to pay for regardless).

Details:
(A very loved) 2003 KJ 3.7L 4WD 5-spd manual

Sorry for the long post. It's wayyyy shorter than what's been swirling in my head for past 6 days!!

Thank you all so, so much for any advice, etc!! This forum has helped me know it's not crazy to replace a Jeep engine if needed.

-Vgirl