Heater Fan died on our 2002 KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepinMaxx

Reaction score
Perfect timing, my heater fan doesn't work.

A few days ago the fan didn't turn on when I first started the engine but I tapped the shifter it came on. It happened again but this time the fan turned on when the passenger door closed. Yesterday, nothing. I tried wiggling and tapping everything in site and nothing makes it turn on.

I'm not sure if its the motor since hot air meanders out while I'm moving or if it's the switch or even something else.

Anyone have experience with this? :mad:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two possibilities (even more but I can only say 2)

1) Resistor passed away? Check this topic: http://jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26012 (I just lost fans #1 and #2, and similar to yours when it is on #1 or #2 and when I hit the right speed, it blows a little)
2) Limp or "damn cracked" Radiator, check if there is a drop in coolant level

mrkake

Reaction score
I know that there was a recall on the heater motor, but I don't remember if it involved certain years or the details. Hopefully someone with more info will chime in.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that there was a recall on the heater motor, but I don't remember if it involved certain years or the details. Hopefully someone with more info will chime in.
That recall was for 2006+ Libertys if I remember right. If your fan comes on at certain settings on the switch (speed 4 for instance) then the safe bet is the resistor block mentioned above. If it doesn't work at all or only when wires are wiggled/jounced/moved then you probably need to replace the blower assembly. There is a write-up in the how to section that covers this. It's not difficult but the blower unit runs around $130. Might give it a shot.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More than likely it's the resistor block.

It's a 15 dollar part from the dealer.

It takes 10 minutes to install.

Drop the glove box
8mm (?) box wrench to loosen the two screws
pull the harness wire off
remove the screws, pull the resistor block
replace with new one
tighten screws and reconnect the wire harness

Turn on the HVAC and enjoy settings 1 and 2 again.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it comes on when you close a door, etc, its either loose wiring or the contacts in the motor are bad(IE, needs new motor).

JeepinMaxx

Reaction score
you probably need to replace the blower assembly. There is a write-up in the how to section that covers this. It's not difficult but the blower unit runs around $130. Might give it a shot.

Nice write-up - followed it and it turns out to be the blower motor

The Stealership wanted $173 + tax for the part Wow1.gif

I found this one on E-Bay for $35 + shipping

BERRY CHRYSLER DODGE JEEP

800 926 8254

WE SELL AT OR BELOW WHOLESALE TO EVERYONE!!!

THIS AUCTION IS FOR A NEW MOPAR BLOWER MOTOR FOR A 02 - 07 JEEP LIBERTY. ALL MOPAR PARTS COME WITH A 12 MONTH UNLIMITED MILE WARRANTY, GOOD AT ANY DODGE DEALERSHIP.

MOPAR PART # 68028890AA

Thanks for all the help!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, only $35.

Latest posts

Members online