Headlights on after locking, first time since owned?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got home today, and I shut my headlights off as usual, and they went off, as usual. I had to go around to the other door to get a tool set out of it, and I shut the door and locked it with the key FOB, and the headlights came on, no parking lights, just headlights. I've owned my Jeep since September, and it's never done this before. I unlocked it again, they stayed on, and I turned the headlights on and then off, and they went out. This time when I locked it, they didn't come on.

I went backoutside about 10 minutes later to get in it, and it did not do this, the headlights never came on.

I've read a few threads about lights staying on like this, if it's set to do this via the EVIC. I don't even have an EVIC to have changed this. Why would it do this one time, and never before this or after? I've locked and unlocked it hundreds of times since I've owned it, and never this result.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Weird. Here's how that's SUPPOSED to work...

You park your Jeep, ignition still on. Turn the ignition OFF, THEN turn your headlights off... they are to stay on for 30 seconds. You can adjust this time all the way to 90 seconds using the EVIC. You can override the delay by turning your headlights on, then off. Maybe your BCM got confused? :-s

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I shut the lights off, AFTER I shut the ignition off, this will happen? i can't remember what I did...

I'll be right back, going to try and reproduce that...

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that' what I did apparently. I shut the lights off after the igniton, the headlights came back on and stayed on for about a minute or so.

thanks...shows how often I shut my headlights off after the ignition. ](*,)

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I was going to say, except that you said that you turned the lights off as usual and exited the car with them off. They only came on AFTER you opened the passenger door, closed it, and locked it again. That is not how it works when you leave the headlamp switch turned on, kill the engine, then turn them off. If you shut off the engine before you turn off the headlamps, they stay illuminated for whatever amount of time they are programmed to, they do not come back on after you have exited the car and done a bunch of other stuff.

Either way, it is some fluke, and I don't see why it is a big deal unless it happens again.