Headlights go off for second, when turn signal shuts off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Occasionally, I notice my headlights go out, for a second, when my turn signal lever returns to center, after making a turn. Being that the headlight switch is on the same stalk. I think there is something wrong with the switches, in the stalk. Anyone else ever experienced this? I guess I need to replace the stalk...
This looks to be a real ***** job! Can anyone supply with me with the instructions on replacing the stalk? Thanks in advance

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
multifunction or headlamp switch? - JeepForum.com

That has some info it it- and it seems like both of you need some new switches. :D

I'd agree but just make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight. It's easier than changing the switch. Check whatever grounds you can too. Mine did a whole lot of weird electrical things when my negative battery terminal crudded up a few years back. That dome light issue was a definite symptom for me and an occasional random chime and gauge cluster issues. The headlight things sounds more like the switch though. I had a couple incidents where all the instrument lights would just shut off and turn on while driving down the highway at night and then the dome would come on and the gauges would go nuts. Engine and headlights never missed a beat though.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HA! I was about to ask this same question. Mine only does it for one side of the blinker. Other direction doesn't cause the flicker.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
ya I have seen my headlight slightly blink before when turn signal cancels after turn.
I try to ignore it LOL..but ya I think one day, I am also in for a new multi-function switch.
There are two differnt switches, one comes without fog light and the other with fog light switch.
Here is a how 2 video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MCTB8ovVHc

Corrosion to terminals is bad news and can be avoided by getting a sealed AGM style battery.
When cold weather sets in, is also a good time to check your terminals to be tight!
I also like to see the output voltage at idle every once in a while! :gr_grin:
57735[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• Jeep%20AGM%20Battery%20Check.jpg
    Jeep%20AGM%20Battery%20Check.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, my headlights only blink off for a second, when the turn signal cancels. And it's only when I make a left turn. I'm going to swap out the switch from my "02" that I've been stripping for parts. Has a blown engine. Taking every part I can off my "02" because I put so many new parts, and months of work into it. Most parts are interchangeable with my new "04". But I am also finding out, that many parts are different. Oh well...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My head lights would flash several times when driving down the road. Pretty disturbing.

My interior lights also would come on (and still do) during the night and stay on which drained the battery. Not sure what causes this but its done it maybe 3-4 times in the past 5 or so years.

Replacing the stalk fixed the headlights flashing but Ive caught the interior lights on once. I left them on all night just to see if they would turn off and they never did. They were still on the next morning. I had hooked a battery charger to it so it wouldnt drain the battery.

Replacing the multifunction switches is actually an easy task. Remove the plastic housing around the steering wheel. Two torx head screws need to be removed from the bottom using a screw driver style torx driver. Pop the cover off and remove the (also torx I believe) screws holding the assembly in. Unplug the unit and remove.

Unhook the battery before doing this.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My head lights would flash several times when driving down the road. Pretty disturbing.

My interior lights also would come on (and still do) during the night and stay on which drained the battery. Not sure what causes this but its done it maybe 3-4 times in the past 5 or so years.

Replacing the stalk fixed the headlights flashing but Ive caught the interior lights on once. I left them on all night just to see if they would turn off and they never did. They were still on the next morning. I had hooked a battery charger to it so it wouldnt drain the battery.

Replacing the multifunction switches is actually an easy task. Remove the plastic housing around the steering wheel. Two torx head screws need to be removed from the bottom using a screw driver style torx driver. Pop the cover off and remove the (also torx I believe) screws holding the assembly in. Unplug the unit and remove.

See post #7 & #8 for the interior lights flashing

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine also has done this, even when dimmer turned to off, so no interior lights should come on then.
When this happens hit the key FOB to lock doors, the lights should then stay off.
What is causing this? IMHO it is one of the locks, probably rear hatch lock.
Why the BCM does not recognize to turn of the power must be an open circuit or poor ground situation.
Somehow I think there is a correlation to having opened the rear hatch, or even the click on light in rear hatch area.
Very strange for sure...
57753[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• Casper%20Lighting_1.jpg
    Casper%20Lighting_1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 0

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interior lights staying on all night

That is strange, because the Jeep is supposed to shut off any lights, that you may forget to turn off, after a while. I had a Chevy Astro van before I bought my first KJ. And I often left the interior dome light on... It stayed on for a while, like an hour. But eventually shut off by itself.
Perhaps this is a problem with the BCM or ECU?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See post #7 & #8 for the interior lights flashing

Think my issue is a little different since they never come on when driving, just when sitting... Sometimes.. Its a fairly rare occurrence and I think the BCM is to blame.

Mine also has done this, even when dimmer turned to off, so no interior lights should come on then.
When this happens hit the key FOB to lock doors, the lights should then stay off.
What is causing this? IMHO it is one of the locks, probably rear hatch lock.
Why the BCM does not recognize to turn of the power must be an open circuit or poor ground situation.
Somehow I think there is a correlation to having opened the rear hatch, or even the click on light in rear hatch area.
Very strange for sure...
57760[/ATTACH]"]

Yup, happens even if the dimmer is turned all the way down or somewhere in between. Its happened with the doors locked, doors unlocked, but never with the doors open. If you do anything to wake the BCM up, they go off. Ive been sitting inside when its happened and if you reach up and push one of the overhead lights it will turn them off. Locking the doors as you said turns them off also.

It seems if they turn on and you do something to make them turn off it wont happen again. Idk...

That is strange, because the Jeep is supposed to shut off any lights, that you may forget to turn off, after a while. I had a Chevy Astro van before I bought my first KJ. And I often left the interior dome light on... It stayed on for a while, like an hour. But eventually shut off by itself.
Perhaps this is a problem with the BCM or ECU?

I agree.. The BCM is suppose to turn any of the lights off after ~7min. But with this issue it doesnt. And yes, I think its an issue with the BCM. I have no plans of replacing the BCM unless it starts doing it monthly or weekly.. Instead of yearly...

Attachments

• Casper%20Lighting_1.jpg
    Casper%20Lighting_1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Members online