Headlight Lens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case you wonder, it is possible to remove the clear lens from your headlights. Just leave the headlight assembly out in the sun to get hot. Then pry up one of the 4 snap tabs and slowly pry the clear lens from the headlight. Work around the headlight slowly. The sun softens the glue Jeep used so that the lens can be removed. Good to know for broken or badly damaged lens. Find a good lens on a broken headlight at a salvage yard and you can do a cheap fix.

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case you wonder, it is possible to remove the clear lens from your headlights. Just leave the headlight assembly out in the sun to get hot. Then pry up one of the 4 snap tabs and slowly pry the clear lens from the headlight. Work around the headlight slowly. The sun softens the glue Jeep used so that the lens can be removed. Good to know for broken or badly damaged lens. Find a good lens on a broken headlight at a salvage yard and you can do a cheap fix.[/QUOTE

Nice tip. I was at a local wrecking yard earlier today looking for a harmonic balancer for a Honda Ridgeline truck. Didn't find what I was looking for, but I did see a KJ Renegade and pulled off the overhead spot light assembly as well as a roof mounted cargo basket......gonna head back tomorrow and see about getting the headlight lenses

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...I was at a local wrecking yard earlier today looking for a harmonic balancer for a Honda Ridgeline truck. Didn't find what I was looking for, but I did see a KJ Renegade and pulled off the overhead spot light assembly as well as a roof mounted cargo basket...
Just curious, but what did they charge you for the spotlights and basket?

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basket with all the mounting brackets was only $40 and the lights/plastic housing/wire harness was $100

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also use a hair dryer. Put the headlight into a fibreboard box, just open a hole to insert the dryer in, and in around 20 minutes you will have a good chance to separate them

featherlight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An oven at 250F for +/- 7 minutes works like a charm.... you just have to remember to take off all the rubber and plastic bits you can first. Avoid any direct contact with metal in the oven (use some parchment paper on a cookie sheet). I didn't take off the white plastic adjustment parts the first time I did it and they survived, but I'm not sure if that was just dumb luck.

nocTurNalX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heard about the oven too! Foil might work too instead of parchment.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great tips.

Dave

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An oven at 250F for +/- 7 minutes works like a charm.... you just have to remember to take off all the rubber and plastic bits you can first. Avoid any direct contact with metal in the oven (use some parchment paper on a cookie sheet). I didn't take off the white plastic adjustment parts the first time I did it and they survived, but I'm not sure if that was just dumb luck.

And hope the wife is gone ALL day...:happy175: