Head Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Bricken

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum so let me explain my situation. I'm a mechanic but I don't work on American cars. I have taken on this project as a favor to an existing customer.

The car in question a 2002 Liberty with a 3.7 V6. What has happened is that a rocker jumped off the lifter and got smashed by the cam lobe and broke the lifter seat (#2 intake).

First question is: can we expect any other damage; to the piston etc? The valve appears OK but owner says leak down test indicates intake valve not sealing.

The second issue is: like I said I have never worked on this motor. Is there anything I should know before taking the head off; like locking the chain tensioners or something? Can I just pull the head or do I have to take the front off the motor? Are any special tools required that I may not have? THe plan is to just replace the one head, but I may replace all the lifters if that is deemed a good idea.

Can I get a quick rundown procedure for removing the head?

Thanks for your time and assistance.

james

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum so let me explain my situation. I'm a mechanic but I don't work on American cars. I have taken on this project as a favor to an existing customer.

The car in question a 2002 Liberty with a 3.7 V6. What has happened is that a rocker jumped off the lifter and got smashed by the cam lobe and broke the lifter seat (#2 intake).

First question is: can we expect any other damage; to the piston etc? The valve appears OK but owner says leak down test indicates intake valve not sealing.

The second issue is: like I said I have never worked on this motor. Is there anything I should know before taking the head off; like locking the chain tensioners or something? Can I just pull the head or do I have to take the front off the motor? Are any special tools required that I may not have? THe plan is to just replace the one head, but I may replace all the lifters if that is deemed a good idea.

Can I get a quick rundown procedure for removing the head?

Thanks for your time and assistance.

james

First and foremost, it's just an SOHC V6. If you've worked on an SOHC 6G72, VG30E, etc, you'll be fine. And if you can't figure it out you're probably in the wrong business.

Sent from ThunderbirdJunkie's mind because the Matrix is real, Neo.