Head lights on and off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
Happened like 6 times already, in 4 separate occasions...well, it happens in 3's

driving down in the highway, the lights would just turn off, then back on.....as in all lights, dash, head lights.....

usually happens once...then a bit later it will happen two times a minute apart.....

i have a new battery in there.....alternator?

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have your alt checked

have your gauges also been dying at the same time, or is it only lights?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The headlights and all turn off? I bet thats scary at night! Do the fogs go all also? Im going to guess the stalk or the BCM.

My dash lights would go to BRIGHT if I had them dimmed then back to dim, but that stopped along time ago. Ive never had the headlights go off though.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jon........you could take it to Advace Auto and they will test the alternator for free if you don't have a tester.

Dave

dnm45227

Reaction score
i had a 70 something nova that the headlights only would come on and off, turned out to be the dimmer switch.

DryBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my wifes interior lights blink on and off from time to time. I am thinking a door switch is faulty but haven't tracked it down yet.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yeah, dash lights on and off too...(as if i was turning it on and off from the stalk) ...also need to replace some bulbs in the dash, but thats besides the point....

gotta figure out where theres an advanced here....

tnx

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
My headlights only blink a bit time to time..

Additionally, Something I have been hating so much, the Fogs Blink when the Clicker flips back into place after I complete the turn. You know, the blinker arm swings back into place, darn fogs blink when this happens.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
My headlights only blink a bit time to time..

Additionally, Something I have been hating so much, the Fogs Blink when the Clicker flips back into place after I complete the turn. You know, the blinker arm swings back into place, darn fogs blink when this happens.

Seems to be a KJ thing. Replacing the multifunction switch fixes it but for some reason, only a while. Mine does it too. 9.5 times out of 10, the fogs blink, but the other .5 times the headlights blink.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, Ive never had my fogs or headlights flash. Im glad Ive got my hellas incase the crazy headlights do decide to go off! Nothing like a good old switch, relay, and direct wiring!

2003KJ

Reaction score
yeah, dash lights on and off too...(as if i was turning it on and off from the stalk) ...also need to replace some bulbs in the dash, but thats besides the point....

gotta figure out where theres an advanced here....

tnx

Advance....Autozone.....maybe even Napa....I think just about all of them will test an alternator or battery.

rdonn

Reaction score
I had it happen on my old ZJ, but only the head lights. Since the headlight switch tested OK I traced the wires into the steering column. I found that the wire that plugs into the hi-beam switch had worked itself loose. (probably from tilting the steering wheel) Pushed the plug in and problem solved.

...so, maybe just a loose wire?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Bad ground in the head lamp/Day time running lights circuit?
Trouble shoot the fuse block.
Check to see if the headlamp switch connector plug makes a good connection and that there are no loose male to female connections within the plug.
Failing that, I have a few Lucas Prince of Darkness wiring looms I can give you! :D

j/k

Ry,